Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
texbound

Next 5 Games

I wanted to ask the board their opinion about these next  5 games.  Realistically, can Texas win 3 out of 5?  Honest question.  To me, this is a crucial stretch for this year and frankly, for years to come regarding recruiting.  

I would love to sit here and tell you I think Texas will beat USC in LA, but I just don't see it.  I think they have a better chance of beating Oklahoma than them and that's still a small chance. Personally, I think they can/will beat KST  (it will be tough) and ISU (again, tough in Ames, but doable).  That's 2 in my book.  Question is, can they beat one of the Oklahoma teams or rather will they? Being 4-3 heading into the "easier" part of the schedule would be music to my ears.  It's so sad that I just wrote that previous sentence. Man, how far have they dropped to where I'm happy with 4-3?  Am I underselling this team?  or Did my burnt orange glasses finally fall off.

I see 4-3 for sure, losses to USC and okiestate. Okiestate has had our number at home beating us 4 out of the last 5 times. Plus here WR core is unmatchable and there QB is gonna be playing on sundays. One mans opinion. The rest I see wins. I see beating a #2 rank HoeU all day. Ruining mayfield chances at heisman which he doesn't deserve 

The longer we play the better we get.  They better fix the secondary though.  I'm telling you now the sooners are overrated.  Ohio State has issues.  I hope the sooners are riding high into Dallas the better the fall will taste.

I agree there over rated but I watch and listen to a lot of okie state football and I think there offense is real. There defense hasn't been tested but tellin ya it won't be a walk in the park. That'll be 2nd toughest game even with it at home. Best part is I will be in attendance! 

We will beat OU. It's Okie St that I worry more about. Unlike OU, OSU is experienced at all the skilled positions and their defense is starting to play very well.

I see OU being full of themselves for a few weeks. I'd rather have them riding high than otherwise. 

Did anyone else watching the OU-OSU game say to themselves "OSU's play calling really sucks"? I did, several times. OSU is missing them some Beck and Herman.

Iowa State worries me. We always take them lightly. They didn't look bad at all against Iowa.

anything can and will happen in the Cotton Bowl, its always come down to who can really get UP for the game ,but control those emotions...IMO its ok for us HORN fans to look ahead , but I hope this team is taking things one game at a time...this may be a different team in five weeks, you never know..they have to develop a winning culture on the 40 Acres that unfortunately hasn't been there the last couple of years....

USC - loss 

OU - loss

OSU - loss

KSU - loss/pick 'em

ISU - win/pick 'em

If Texas gets out of these 2-3 I think that will be par for the course.  3 wins would be great.  4 or more out of these 5 would be phenomenal.  

We lost to Maryland but only by 10 points.  If we had played Gary Johnson then I think the game would have been different.  All in all the LB's played better vs SJSU.  Malik was much better and Johnson was an added lift in aggression.  Granted it was SJSU but this team needs some confidence, especially the defense.  My biggest concern is the secondary now.  Boyd, Jones, and Locke worry me.  

To me basically comes down to this.  If we get blown out by USC all bets are off.  This team could and probably will tank and another losing season looms with no bowl game.  If we can make it competitive and control the clock with run game then there is a chance to win.  I am just hoping its competitive even if its a loss.  If we get down by a couple of scores we are screwed.  Sam probably starts and I doubt he can beat USC with his arm accuracy.  

On the other hand if we keep respectable this team will go into conference play with confidence.  I think this team will do better than most think but it all depends on how we play Saturday.

39 minutes ago, DMAC said:

We lost to Maryland but only by 10 points.  If we had played Gary Johnson then I think the game would have been different.  All in all the LB's played better vs SJSU.  Malik was much better and Johnson was an added lift in aggression.  Granted it was SJSU but this team needs some confidence, especially the defense.  My biggest concern is the secondary now.  Boyd, Jones, and Locke worry me.  

To me basically comes down to this.  If we get blown out by USC all bets are off.  This team could and probably will tank and another losing season looms with no bowl game.  If we can make it competitive and control the clock with run game then there is a chance to win.  I am just hoping its competitive even if its a loss.  If we get down by a couple of scores we are screwed.  Sam probably starts and I doubt he can beat USC with his arm accuracy.  

On the other hand if we keep respectable this team will go into conference play with confidence.  I think this team will do better than most think but it all depends on how we play Saturday.

What's ur definition of "competitive" I think if we can hang within 10 against a team that could very well be the best team in the country would be respectable. But I'm not lookin for that, I want a W to brag about. Sam and Heard will have em

guessing 

27 minutes ago, DMAC said:

Totally agree.

If we are competitive against USC, I will be very confident that we can go at least 3-1 against Iowa State, KSU, OU, and Okie State. But if we get run out of the stadium, 2-2 would probably be the best possible scenario.

1 hour ago, okiehorn said:

What's ur definition of "competitive" I think if we can hang within 10 against a team that could very well be the best team in the country would be respectable. But I'm not lookin for that, I want a W to brag about. Sam and Heard will have em

guessing 

Okay, here's my shot at my definition of "competitive".

Against the best teams in the nation, the game is still legitimately in doubt entering the 4th quarter. I'm talking about the other team knowing that they have to play well in the 4th quarter or they will get beat. 

3 hours ago, okiehorn said:

guessing 

What NTG said is where I am at as far as being "competitive"

Strange how we all look at this a little differently.I dont know about OU ans OSU. At any rate, they are down the road and I am focusing on what is straight ahead. To me the most winnable game of the three is right ahead, right now, USC. The more I hear from people telling me how good USC is the more confident I become.They have been hearing everyone telling them how great they are I have to wonder what they will do if/when they get smacked in the mouth.

I feel better about this game because we are playing them in their house.Were we playing in Austin they would come in with a bunker mentality that I believe they will not have at their place. If we can avoid turning the ball over early and can get some drives going I think we start taking air out of their balloon. This is our chance....our moment. My God what an opportunity we have right before us.

I started the season optimistic and now I am trying to be realistic. Absolute best case scenario is 3-2 over the next 5. I feel like we are on a roller coaster and last Saturday put us on a peak. We have not figured out who we are yet especially in the secondary. We get beat at USC, we win at Iowa State and beat K State (at home), we lose a close one to OU. Six games in we have found an identity and beat OK State at home.

The more I look at these next 5, the more shook I get tbh.  I actually think we could go 5-0. But more realistically best case is 3-2 as RickyFlair mentioned.  I agree with DMAC tho, this Saturday will absolutely determine the remainder of our season.  We snatch this one and at least from a confidence standpoint, set us up to have a somewhat "magical" season, imo

Honestly, just focusing on the USC game, I don't think we have a lot to lose. We're a 17 point underdog, so even keeping it competitive would be a win. 

I agree that this game could shape our season, but only if we win it. If so, we have a lot of momentum going into conference play and i think we'll potentially go 4-1/5-0 over the next five games, with the lone loss against OSU. If we lose, I see us going 3-2, with losses against USC (duh) and OSU. I think Saturday will be the first time we're going to see why Herman has been hired at Texas because he always found a way to win the big games on the big stages. 

I think we're going to see exactly that. I think it's going to be tight. We'll probably be down by 5 on our last offensive drive. We're going to advance the ball into enemy territory and stall within the red zone. 3rd down passes without a new first down and it'll be 4th & 5 with about 26 seconds left. Sam drops back to pass, sees an open lane to the corner of the end zone, tucks it, runs and scores, touchdown Texas - win Texas. :huh:

2 hours ago, Dbut82 said:

The more I look at these next 5, the more shook I get tbh.  I actually think we could go 5-0. But more realistically best case is 3-2 as RickyFlair mentioned.  I agree with DMAC tho, this Saturday will absolutely determine the remainder of our season.  We snatch this one and at least from a confidence standpoint, set us up to have a somewhat "magical" season, imo

On a positive note I never expected Texas to compete for a national championship in year 1 of Tom Herman.  Although I would love to see Texas win at USC, I am placing all value of this season on how Texas plays within the BIG XII.  Texas can win this weekend. Oddsmakers say they won't but they CAN.

Regardless, nobody should throw up their hands if they lose this game.  Conventional wisdom says they should lose.  If Texas can put up 5-4 or better in conference I will consider year 1 of Tom Herman a smashing success.

Baby steps

3 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

Strange how we all look at this a little differently.I dont know about OU ans OSU. At any rate, they are down the road and I am focusing on what is straight ahead. To me the most winnable game of the three is right ahead, right now, USC. The more I hear from people telling me how good USC is the more confident I become.They have been hearing everyone telling them how great they are I have to wonder what they will do if/when they get smacked in the mouth....

When was the last time Texas smacked anyone in the mouth? With Mack Brown's last few teams we were "soft". Charlie Strong was supposed to change that label, but he could never be consistent enough to not get smacked around in Ames and Lawrence. I'm not sure Texas is ready to smack anyone in the mouth and stand up to them. I can't wait until we have a team that just b!tch slaps everyone--cupcakes as well as top 10 teams.

12 hours ago, DMAC said:

If you go to barking carnival they have a nice little video showing how game plan and adding GJ to the lineup freed up Malik to do Malik things. I don't know how to post or gladly would have shared since it's a free site.

5 hours ago, hookemhorb said:

When was the last time Texas smacked anyone in the mouth? With Mack Brown's last few teams we were "soft". Charlie Strong was supposed to change that label, but he could never be consistent enough to not get smacked around in Ames and Lawrence. I'm not sure Texas is ready to smack anyone in the mouth and stand up to them. I can't wait until we have a team that just b!tch slaps everyone--cupcakes as well as top 10 teams.

Wait... Wait... Charlie's Longhorns upset a top 10 Oklahoma a couple years ago. The completely dominated in the trenches and pounded the ball down their throats. It's wasn't a blow out but it was a punch in the mouth of OU.

Then... Texas tanked again.