Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
okiehorn

Herman and Heard

Have literally watched every presser YouTube has of Herman with the horns and his attitude has changed A LOT toward Heard at QB. This last one today over the USC game you can tell he REALLY likes Heard as a weapon and will see the field a lot this weekend. Even if Shane is healed. Before it was "emergency situations only blah blah. Im

not in this QB controversy but im

glad he sees Heard as a threat to any opposing team now. Stack the box and he will throw a bomb on you. And I expect to see few more passes with him.  This combo alone gives us something to look forward to this weekend. It will help us, mark my words.

I found it interesting that Herman said that Heard would get even more work in that package, and will continue to do so, even if Shane is healthy. I think Herman likes Heard's overall competitive drive and play making ability/potential.

I'll still take these comments with a grain of salt, but it's still interesting. That said, I know dbut will like hearing this.

Yea him and many others lol. But I do agree, I like him In the game and when a team does expect a run and he throws a Hail Mary I'll be pumped. I like using him as a package, but still have a QB. Wish it was Friday with my brisket smokin, smelling the hickory just waiting for Saturday night!

13 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

I found it interesting that Herman said that Heard would get even more work in that package, and will continue to do so, even if Shane is healthy. I think Herman likes Heard's overall competitive drive and play making ability/potential.

I'll still take these comments with a grain of salt, but it's still interesting. That said, I know dbut will like hearing this.

LOL! No doubt! I just think with the new staff that he was being overlooked.  Not just as a qb but also as a weapon in general.  Looks like he's impressed and will at least get a legit look; which is all we could ask.  I'm pumped!  and definitely rooting for the kid!

3 minutes ago, Dbut82 said:

LOL! No doubt! I just think with the new staff that he was being overlooked.  Not just as a qb but also as a weapon in general.  Looks like he's impressed and will at least get a legit look; which is all we could ask.  I'm pumped!  and definitely rooting for the kid!

Don't know if you caught the interview but he was actually asked the question "why hasn't Heard got a legit look at started QB, and do you feel it is to late" 

his answer was it's never to late and said he doesn't know if that's the direction they want to go due to the speed of Shane recovery but if it gets drawn out a couple more weeks then he will get a legit shot.... see that complete opposite of even last week. Heard is proving something to these coaches. That's a fact

2 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Don't know if you caught the interview but he was actually asked the question "why hasn't Heard got a legit look at started QB, and do you feel it is to late" 

his answer was it's never to late and said he doesn't know if that's the direction they want to go due to the speed of Shane recovery but if it gets drawn out a couple more weeks then he will get a legit shot.... see that complete opposite of even last week. Heard is proving something to these coaches. That's a fact

I just finished reading the transcript. Complete 180 from his thoughts when he arrived!  I'll take it!

On Jerrod Heard's role this week: Big. Hopefully maybe even bigger than last week, not in terms of plays. Hopefully we can get a couple of those plays off the ground that kind of got stuffed. But, no, this is a guy -- I think it's important that whenever Shane gets healthy, fully healthy, I would envision you'll see Jerrod in most every game behind center at some point. When Shane is fully healthy, that will allow him to maybe go back and devote most of his practice time and meeting time to playing wide receiver. But knowing that we can jog him back there and take some snaps and add a change of pace for the defense, I think is a weapon. The good thing about him, which is different than most wildcat quarterbacks is he can throw the football.
He played quarterback here at a very high level for a couple of years. So I think that dimension of it is a lot different than most that jog a running back or a wide receiver back there. This is a guy that's played college quarterback for a couple years. So if you want to put a bunch of human beings in the box to stop the run, he's capable of throwing it over your head.

On it being too late for Jerrod Heard to be a QB: I don't think it's ever too late. Is that the direction we want to head? I don't know, because I think we're still very optimistic on the speed and shortness of time for Shane's recovery. Now if this thing drags on for a couple weeks, I think that's when you've got to say, okay, big boy, let's go give you, instead of a package, you're going to learn how to play quarterback.
Two very different things though rather than memorizing a couple plays versus knowing the entire offense and executing it, and managing the game.
So I think, you know, was it eight carries for 39 yards and we're already making those kind of assertions, I think is a little bit premature. 0 for 1 throwing, I think, right? Something like that. So I definitely think that's premature, but it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to grow in that role should we need him to?

I see Herman and staff correcting their assessment of personnel from week one.  Notice how Warren started.  Notice how Gary Johnson actually saw the field on defense.  I think they were somewhat humbled after Maryland.  Maybe it was the "if you don't practice hard you wont start"  I think Herman and staff had some ingrained opinions on some players.  Unfortunately some players play better than they practice or just needed a kick in the butt.  I do believe Herman thought he would beat Maryland even with Porter and such.  As for Heard if he can pass effectively then he is probably the best fit for this offense.  The question is his passing.  I love Heard at QB but he cant just line up and run every time.  That may work vs San Jose State but I doubt it vs USC.

Either all that or Herman is just messing with USC coaches on who to prepare for.

33 minutes ago, DMAC said:

I see Herman and staff correcting their assessment of personnel from week one.  Notice how Warren started.  Notice how Gary Johnson actually saw the field on defense.  I think they were somewhat humbled after Maryland.  Maybe it was the "if you don't practice hard you wont start"  I think Herman and staff had some ingrained opinions on some players.  Unfortunately some players play better than they practice or just needed a kick in the butt.  I do believe Herman thought he would beat Maryland even with Porter and such.  As for Heard if he can pass effectively then he is probably the best fit for this offense.  The question is his passing.  I love Heard at QB but he cant just line up and run every time.  That may work vs San Jose State but I doubt it vs USC.

Either all that or Herman is just messing with USC coaches on who to prepare for.

Herman said Johnson was nursing a ankle injury and that's is why he didn't play against Maryland I'm assuming. I agree with all the rest, but I do not think he is buffaloing USC there a top college program gonna be tough to fool them. He will play and will be a positive asset. I'm ready to see it. I liked the Sam and Heard duo 

47 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Herman said Johnson was nursing a ankle injury and that's is why he didn't play against Maryland I'm assuming. I agree with all the rest, but I do not think he is buffaloing USC there a top college program gonna be tough to fool them. He will play and will be a positive asset. I'm ready to see it. I liked the Sam and Heard duo 

I only say Herman may be playing the game is because it was reported Shane was out for 3 weeks and Herman later that afternoon was still saying he wasnt sure who was going to start vs SJS.  I would think USC is going to blitz the crap out of Sam since he is a freshman but with Heard they might not because he could make them pay dearly with his quickness.  I do believe Herman is much higher on Heard than he was previously.  If Heard can improve his passing he would be ideal for this offense.

I dont care one whit if they start Heard or Sam or Shane or hell....let Dickson have a go......I just want to see some good play out of the offense. No doubt in my mind Herman is trying to play mind games with USC and who cares? We can run the single wing or the buck and wing for all I care, I just want to see points on the board I am not giving up on this game. The football aint round and spooky things happen all the time.Hell....last time we played them that fool Reggie Bush was running free and clear with nothing between him and the goal line but air, and he just dropped the ball on the 15 yd line ( DAMN!....I hope he is reading this).This is football and anything can, and often does happen. Nebraska was a 17 point favorite to whip our ass for the conference championship. Our QB at the time was asked about that and he said...oh yeah?...I think we will beat them by 17 points. They all laughed, but not for long....Only James Brown and the Longhorns were laughing leaving that stadium. 

You can NEVER have a great win unless you are the underdog. I say send em all back to eating tofu and granola

7 hours ago, okiehorn said:

Yea him and many others lol. But I do agree, I like him In the game and when a team does expect a run and he throws a Hail Mary I'll be pumped. I like using him as a package, but still have a QB. Wish it was Friday with my brisket smokin, smelling the hickory just waiting for Saturday night!

I'm sure it's also a message to opposing coaches.

Herman is puzzling. He has been here 9 months, as you may have heard him say, and in the last two weeks he has discovered that Heard and Warren can play. I understand its his first time to see them in a game but its not their first games and they were good in the past. Then you have a PJ Locke, who I like, as one of the team captains and I don't recall him making any impact the last two games. When asked if he is surprised by (whoevers) play he always says "they have come a long way in the past 9 months". Its just odd.

Buechelle's injury has given Herman all the cover he needs.  Herman is a disruptor of the status quo, and he knows he is, but you cannot do it all at once.  As many of us have learned on this website, Buechelle is a scared cow to some.

6 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

Herman is puzzling. He has been here 9 months, as you may have heard him say, and in the last two weeks he has discovered that Heard and Warren can play. I understand its his first time to see them in a game but its not their first games and they were good in the past. Then you have a PJ Locke, who I like, as one of the team captains and I don't recall him making any impact the last two games. When asked if he is surprised by (whoevers) play he always says "they have come a long way in the past 9 months". Its just odd.

Yes he is definitely all about the mind games. Maybe he was ignorant enough to not watch any film from the past. That may have helped cost us the W in game 1. Just hope he sees it now though, all we can really ask for. This week will show just how good PJ Locke and the secondsry really is.... or how bad...

14 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Yes he is definitely all about the mind games. Maybe he was ignorant enough to not watch any film from the past. That may have helped cost us the W in game 1. Just hope he sees it now though, all we can really ask for. This week will show just how good PJ Locke and the secondsry really is.... or how bad...

I think Herman has even said that he hasn't watched any game film from last season.  While I'm sure the assistants have, I thought that comment was strange to say the least...