Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
North Texas Golfer

Doesn't Look Like Texas Plays With Same Speed as Other Teams

It may just be my imagination but when I watch other games (Bama-FSU, USC-Stanford, OU-tOSU, Auburn-Clemson) it just seems like players in those games play with considerably more speed than Texas does. Man, players are flying to the ball on defense and running backs and receivers just seem quicker.

Does anyone else see that or is just me?

4 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

It may just be my imagination but when I watch other games (Bama-FSU, USC-Stanford, OU-tOSU, Auburn-Clemson) it just seems like players in those games play with considerably more speed than Texas does. Man, players are flying to the ball on defense and running backs and receivers just seem quicker.

Does anyone else see that or is just me?

Yea I thought it was funny when Ahmad kept saying Warren "big physical and has SPEED:huh:   The kid is a Mack truck no doubt but a speed burner WTF?  Those RBs at USC run fast and hard.   I see it as well though in some of the good teams.  Reckless flying around.  Gary Johnson seems to be like that.  Maybe its a Slow Motion virus in Austin and he hasnt been infected yet.

I think you have to consider the teams playing and who they're playing against. We've played Maryland & SJSU; teams with athletes who don't play fast.  Comparatively you've mentioned Bama-FSU, HoeU-tOSU, Auburn-Clemson.  These are the top teams in the country with athlete who inherently play fast.  Our athletes are talented and fast.  And we'll play up to the level of competition.  When we step on the field Saturday evening the LAST thing that will happen is the Longhorns being overwhelmed by speed.  Not saying we'll win.  But overwhelmed by a team who players appear to play fast will not happen... 

22 minutes ago, Dbut82 said:

I think you have to consider the teams playing and who they're playing against. We've played Maryland & SJSU; teams with athletes who don't play fast.  Comparatively you've mentioned Bama-FSU, HoeU-tOSU, Auburn-Clemson.  These are the top teams in the country with athlete who inherently play fast.  Our athletes are talented and fast.  And we'll play up to the level of competition.  When we step on the field Saturday evening the LAST thing that will happen is the Longhorns being overwhelmed by speed.  Not saying we'll win.  But overwhelmed by a team who players appear to play fast will not happen... 

I could see that the athleticism of the opponent would have something to do that. We will see if that is the case Saturday night. I really want to see our athletes play fast. 

I've noticed the same thing. I think some of our guys are still unsure where they are going and are not moving full tilt. Reggie H-M looks pretty fast and T. Carter was zipping around also. I also watch other teams and notice their receivers seem to be wide open sometimes (and not just the ones we are playing against).

NFL never looks the same from pre-season to regular, and from regular to post-season. Whole different game. Same players. Higher stakes.

This team Saturday night will make us wonder where the hell they were Sept 2nd. We will be scouring the depth chart examining names and numbers....

We'll see hitting and gang tackling and pursuits that will make us think it's Jan 2006 all over again.

Revolution about to break out. Gonna get nasty. USC about to get some smash mouth Texas football delivered in Storm Trooper White.

Fast. Hard. Reckless.

7 minutes ago, Epictetus said:

NFL never looks the same from pre-season to regular, and from regular to post-season. Whole different game. Same players. Higher stakes.

This team Saturday night will make us wonder where the hell they were Sept 2nd. We will be scouring the depth chart examining names and numbers....

We'll see hitting and gang tackling and pursuits that will make us think it's Jan 2006 all over again.

Revolution about to break out. Gonna get nasty. USC about to get some smash mouth Texas football delivered in Storm Trooper White.

Fast. Hard. Reckless.

^^^^^^If this doesn't fire you up then nothin will 

2 hours ago, Dbut82 said:

.....so Dbut....you are saying our guys look slow next to the slow guys on the other team??.......Did you not have to take physics in school?

just yanking your chain.......I know what you meant.

On 9/11/2017 at 3:11 PM, Epictetus said:

Fast. Hard. Reckless.

You are either brilliant or delusional...we shall see...

Fast. Hard. Reckless.

Yep, pretty much got to throw the kitchen sink at them.

Just put this on another thread... here's how a team Herman was coaching (Ohio State and Houston) fared against favored teams. This is ALL the teams Herman's team was an underdog. Won all of them.

Those last two games... 13-point underdog to OU... 17-pt underdog to Louisville. In that game, sacked the Louisville QB 11 times.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/11/18/13674378/tom-herman-houston-underdog-louisville

As for how Herman's teams have performed as underdogs, going back to his time as offensive coordinator at Ohio State, look at this 11-0 streak:

• 2012 Ohio State 17, 2-point favorite Michigan State 16
  • 2012 Ohio State 21, 1-point favorite Wisconsin 14
  • 2014 Ohio State 49, 4-point favorite Michigan State 37
  • 2014 Ohio State 59, 4-point favorite Wisconsin 0
  • 2014 Ohio State 42, 7.5-point favorite Alabama 35
  • 2014 Ohio State 42, 6-point favorite Oregon 20
  • 2015 Houston 34, 13.5-point favorite Louisville 31
  • 2015 Houston 52, 1.5-point favorite Navy 31
  • 2015 Houston 38, 7.5-point favorite Florida State 24
  • 2016 Houston 33, 13-point favorite Oklahoma 23
  • 2016 Houston 36, 17-point favorite Louisville 10

Fast. Hard. Reckless.

YEAH!  That's what I needed!  Way to go, Epic!   That's a great philosophy!  :lol:

My Sunshine Pump was cavitating.  :unsure:

HOOK'EM!