Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
Bogey

2017 Texas Volleyball

Watching the Orange-White scrimmage on LHN today, it looks like another great year for Texas volleyball!

I plan to take my 6 year old granddaughter to see the ladies play this fall. I haven't been to Gregory gym to see them before and would appreciate any helpful insight from those of you who have. It will have to be a Saturday game and may need to be with short notice.

Is it necessary to purchase tickets in advance?

For general admission, how long before start of play should we arrive?

For general admission, you can buy tickets for most games that day. As far as how far in advance should you arrive, depends on how much warm-ups you want to see. I'd say ~30 to 45 mins should suffice. After the game, take your granddaughter down to meet the team. I'm sure she would get a kick out of that. It's a great sport and a lot harder to play than it looks. Have fun!

I think I read where Texas is the preseason #1 team this year and if not, they will be top 5 easy.

For big game opponents get your tickets in advance. For example, I think Wisconsin will sell out pretty early. I go with my daughters who are students. I usually get mine on line in advance. You can print them at home or have them sent to your phone. Makes entry easier. As tejas mentioned, the players will sign autographs and take pictures after the game. It's a great environment, a lot of fun, and inexpensive. Not to mention, the team is challenging for a national championship every year.

Thanks tejas and Huskie. I'm thinking of taking her to see them play K. State first. That is probably the first opportunity we'll have. If she really gets into it, I'll try to get her to another game. There's a limited number of Saturday games.

We made to the K-State game Saturday . It took my granddaughter Jade a little while to get into it, but once she did, she had a really good time. The Horns were dominant and the match went very quickly, which was probably the best case first experience for a 6 year old.

After the match, we went down to the court and Jade was pretty stoked to get to meet the players. For pictures, the ladies would crouch to get at her level. After taking a picture with Morgan Johnson, Jade asked if she could take another with Morgan standing so she could see how tall she is. As you can see in the photo, Morgan got a kick from the request.

We left Gregory gym and walked around outside for a while. It was such a nice day. As we were headed back to the car we ran into Morgan and Jade said "Hi". Morgan was so gracious to stop for several minutes and chat with her. I think she earned a new young fan.

IMG_1795.JPG

Thanks for the pics Bogey. They brought back great memories of my girls when they were younger. I was at that match with them as they are both students at UT now. Hope you get a chance to attend more matches.

I was watching on TV....we had a TERRIBLE 3rd set, hitting pct under .100.  We dominated that 4th set, then had great resolve and response when they saved a couple of our match points.  Rigmon for Kansas had herself a great game and it seemed like we had no answer for her until those last 2 or 3 points.

Lexi has easily been my favorite player to watch on the team this year...talk about TALENT! Her spikes sound like a cannon shot that ball off of her hand.  When she's consistent, she can be nearly unstoppable hitting from that left side. What a match!

Some notes: Kansas beat Texas last year in 5 sets to end a 25 match losing streak to Texas...Kansas won the Big XII last year largely due to that win, which ended Texas's 5 year streak of winning the conference.  With both teams in the top 10 and rolling so far, this is a new budding rivalry in the sport and is going to be an extremely exciting match anytime they get together.

So far this year, Texas has been very good with a lot of improvement in several aspects of the game. Not totally unexpected with 2 true frosh starting.

The serving errors are hurting them –kills momentum. But they have out-talented the competition for the most part.

I hope they put it all together by the end of the regular season and host a regional for a chance to attend a post-season game. Making it to the final 4 as they have 8 of the last 9 years, and the championship game as they have 3 of the last 4 years would be awesome.

I'm always ready for awesome.