Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Seahorn

Another One! Texas Lands Four-Star TE Malcolm Epps (by Harrison Wier)

The recruiting momentum for Texas keeps on churning, and so do we. With the addition of Cade Brewer and Reese Leitao (after some hiccups) in the 2017 class, Tom Herman is doing his best to restock what has been a thin tight end room since the departure of Jermichael Finley in 2008. He’s off to a good start with the 2018 class with the addition of Dekaney tight end Malcolm Epps.

When you look at Epps on paper, he doesn’t seem all that impressive. He’s 6’6” with a 5.02 40-yard dash and a 24’ vertical. Not great for a big bodied tight end. It’s important to remember, however, that numbers sometimes fail to tell the full story. Epps is a matchup nightmare on the football field, and it certainly shows on tape. There’s a reason Epps is the No. 4 ranked tight end in the country, with offers from the likes of Alabama, Texas, and Florida State. With Epps adding much needed depth to the TE room, what does the tape say about his ability to produce on the field?

Film Analysis

Epps’ numbers do tell one aspect of his skill set: he is raw. At 218 pounds, he needs to add weight to grow into his frame. He’s raw as a blocker and will never blow by a defender. Those are things that can be worked around and even improved, in some cases. The two things Epps has that cannot be taught is size and ball skills. Epps is a gifted pass catcher that has soft hands. In his film, he made some extremely difficult catches as well as all of the routine ones. Texas fans should be excited just imagining Epps lined up for the corner fade route in the end zone. He is going to create tons of mismatch problems for Big 12 defenses.

Although raw as a player, Epps can only get better. He grow more into his frame after an offseason spent with Yancy McKnight and even likely become a bit faster off the ball. His time spent as a basketball player will likely help him become a better tight end as well, assisting him with getting to the ball at the highest level. Although many say “numbers never lie,” they do in this case. Malcolm Epps is a raw, but talented tight end that Tom Herman and Corby Meekins should be excited about. If he gets on campus and taps into his full potential, the sky is the limit.

Final Verdict

The addition of Malcolm Epps adds more depth and competition to a recently replenished tight end room. Although he is a work in progress at the position, Epps’ measurables and ball skills leaves plenty of room for excitement. It’s also important to note that Epps has been offered a scholarship by Shaka Smart as well, which could impact his decision. As a two-way player in football/basketball, he will certainly carry over some things from the court that will help him on the field, and vice versa. Overall, Texas fans should be excited about the addition of Malcolm Epps. I don’t want to jump the gun, but Epps reminds me a lot of Jimmy Graham – only a bit less athletic. If he can play even remotely at the type of level Graham does, Texas may have their first true TE since 2008. 

Advertise on HornSports

Lots of people making false assumptions in here. OB had the permission of Epps family to post the story, But carry on.

This.

Suchomel was contacted by Epps' father and given the green light to run with it.

Epps apparently wasn't aware of the conversation and put up a knee-jerk tweet.

I get it; these kids want a bit of a look-@-me moment and due to a lack of communication between father & son, his thunder was mildly stolen. This time tomorrow it will be a non-factor.

If anything OBs has a history of sitting on commitment announcements too long. And Suchomel is one of the most ethical guys out there.

Jason is a good dude. It did not seem good on the surface, but if he got cleared by Epps' dad, he isn't in the wrong. I still would like to see the kid have his moment. I'm not sure he knew his dad told JS to tweet out the commitment. That's the only issue I have.

And that's clearly not on the reporter, but lack of communication between son and father. I get it. I have a 19 yr old son. Communication is a constantly evolving process between us.

And that's clearly not on the reporter, but lack of communication between son and father. I get it. I have a 19 yr old son. Communication is a constantly evolving process between us.

He has jumped the gun before or maybe that was permissible as well.  Regardless, it's all about being first to report in the media.  They did what they thought was in their best interest based off a nod from the kids father.  He could have waited on the kid to announce.

Meh, to heck with my opinion on the topic.  A highly touted defensive recruit took notice and didn't seem to care for the tact or lack thereof.

Solid take from EJ:

— The way the whole Epps commitment played out on Twitter today was bizarre. It seemed a bit more like a miscommunication than malintent after more details came to light. But I have a couple of general rules when it comes to commitments. I have an obligation to you as readers and will drop hints but never truly give things away just like I did with BJ Foster. The Travis Scott horse riding GIF was a hint. The fact that I was in Houston and publicized it was a hint. The coffee is always a hint. But at the end of the day, BJ tweeted it out first and I followed seconds later with the story/baller photo of him on his horse. It was great for BJ and us. The kids come first. I never break commitments without the kids tweeting first unless they specifically tell me to do so ala Trestan Ebner last cycle — even though that was for TCU. And it comes with a shoutout from the recruit 100 percent of the time, which is why this was met with some interesting reactions, including one from target Bobby Brown. And of course, while I play around on Twitter a lot, everyone from fans to reporters should conduct themselves accordingly. This is the kid’s moment. It’s not yours.

Back to the topic on hand, I seem to remember reading a lot of comments that people on this board would rather have other TE's. However Epps is higher rated than one or maybe both and has an offer from Bama. Throw in the fact that Herman likes him enough to offer and I'm OK with this get.

BTW, what's the deal with the appliance ads on the sides? It's cutting into the far right of all the posts making them hard to read.

With Kendall Moore, DWA and Beck on the roster will Epps see playing time this season or is he a possible redshirt?

Beck and Kendall Moore will not be on the roster next year.

Beck is a Senior and Kendall Moore is a grad transfer.

Next year there will be three current TEs on the depth chart. Two of them sophomores and the other is Garrett Gray.

Back to the topic on hand, I seem to remember reading a lot of comments that people on this board would rather have other TE's. However Epps is higher rated than one or maybe both and has an offer from Bama. Throw in the fact that Herman likes him enough to offer and I'm OK with this get.

lol

BTW, what's the deal with the appliance ads on the sides? It's cutting into the far right of all the posts making them hard to read.

Both Ford and Muhammad are ranked higher in the composite rankings. And personally I think Epps ranking is a bit inflated based on his film from this past year.

All three guys also hold offers from Alabama, but keep in mind Epps was more or less pushed out from their class.

With Kendall Moore, DWA and Beck on the roster will Epps see playing time this season or is he a possible redshirt?

IMO on the reports it's a safe bet that Epps will red shirt, he lacks ideal weight for the position and playing basketball isn't going to help.

A combination of college diet plan and strength and conditioning for a year should get him ready.

I also remember reading that he's going to have to improve his in line blocking.

When I watched his film he looks more awkward than slow. Its like he hasn't caught up with his height. He could hold 30+ pounds of good weight and never miss a beat. If the 5.0 forty is legit he needs to really focus on his speed or a position change might be in his future. A year in the program and he could be 250 with 4.8 speed. With his length and hands he would be tremendous. If he's not a stud on the hardwood he might need to hang up the high tops.