Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Seahorn

Burnt Ends- 5/19/17

c0e48d48c76e6c5aa848f9c1392703bf.jpg

The point on a brisket is typically the fattiest cut. Pitmasters often trim the point (and select edges) off a brisket and return those pieces to the smoker.

Are burnt ends tough, chewy worthless cuts of meat, or are they heavenly bites of smoky goodness? It depends on who you ask...

Rather than discard the trimmings and fat, we choose to savor all the information that flows through the site. So, sit down and help yourself to some burnt ends.

+++++

This is a free site, so anyone can read this report. If you share it with someone, please take time to attribute the information to HornSports.

Big Time Targets

Jalen Green, 2018 DB (Houston Heights | Houston, TX)

I went down to Houston to see Heights take on Episcopal in 7-on-7. Jalen Green once again did not disappoint. The dude is versatile, athletic, and extremely polished for having played DB for only two years. Jalen talks with his actions on the field as evidenced by Jaylen Waddle trashing Jalen for not having a pick yet, then Green high pointing an interception on the very next play.

I asked Jalen about the momentum Texas has built on the recruiting trail, “They’re picking up a lot of my friends. Might have to go take another look and see… [Caden Sterns] is a big commitment that they picked up. They’re heading in the right direction.”

Currently the schools talking to Jalen the most are LSU, USC, Texas, Ohio State, and Alabama.

Currently Jason Washington is taking the lead in the recruitment. I feel very good about Texas’ standing with the elite defensive back.

Jaylen Waddle, 2018 IWR (Episcopal High School | Houston, TX)

Waddle is a walking highlight reel. He may be 5’8”, but multiple college coaches have told me he’s the best wide-receiver in the state. That’s some hefty praise, but Jaylen lived up to it. He runs a 4.3 laser timed forty, runs a multitude of routes well (the cuts were so clean they had guys tripping over themselves).

Not to mention his trash talk game is hands down the top in the state. Jalen Green told me it’s the best he’s heard.

While Waddle didn’t have a great relationship with the last staff, Tom Herman and Drew Mehringer have done an impressive job with him. I asked him his thoughts on the Texas program: “I’m hype on them. I have a strong relationship with Coach Herman, and I have a strong relationship with Coach Mehringer. They’re telling me how they use their slot. When they were at Houston their slots had something like 98 catches, or something crazy like that. They’re telling me I can come in a get an open spot.”

Jaylen’s last trip to Texas was the Spring Game, so I asked him what impression that has left on him: “I was surprised with the amount of people who came to the Spring Game. Dang near close to a real game, so I know they have a strong fanbase.”

Jaylen recently dropped his top 12. Texas made the cut amongst FSU, Alabama, and TCU.

Mustapha Muhammad, 2018 TE (Ridge Point | Missouri City, TX)

There are not many tight-ends like Mustapha Muhammad, especially not at the high school level. He is at the top of the board for the Longhorns and for good reason. He can put his hand in the ground and has the blocking ability to be that crucial 6th lineman to take a man out of the play. On the flip side, when he has the ball in his hands he’s fluid on the field. Best part is it isn’t hard to get him the ball since he’s 6’4” 235-pounds with very reliable hands.

Muhammad wasn’t able to make it out to Texas recently; however, he left impressed with the city of Austin, “I didn’t realize how cool Austin is. I was blown away by the city and the people there. I’ve got to make it back there.”

Mustapha’s top 10 will be released May 24th, and I feel confident in Texas being on it due to the relationship the coaches have built with Mustapha, “[Coach Meekins and Coach Beck] have been keeping a good relationship with me and trying to get me back to campus. I’m planning going back there early summer... I text Coach Herman every now-and-then because we have a good relationship. He was my first offer when he was back at Houston and he’s a really good guy.”

While some experts are predicting, Mustapha is a Michigan lean, I wouldn’t go that far. There is still a long way to go in this recruitment and Mustapha told me he will be waiting for a National Signing Day or an All-American game announcement.

High Priority

Marquez Beason, 2019 WR (Bishop Dunne | Dallas, TX)

Bishop Dunne is loaded with talent, and Marquez Beason is one of their top guys. Marquez is a speedster who’s hard to take down, which results in some big gains. The playmaker recently decommitted from Nebraska after receiving his Texas offer.

Before the offer, I asked Marquez where Texas would fit into the picture if they did offer and he told me top 10. Afterward getting the offer Marquez told me Coach Mehringer approached him after practice to tell him, “you are everything they said you’d be. You, my man, have an offer from us.” Marquez has been waiting for this offer for quite a while now. He seems pretty ecstatic to finally get it, telling me it’s a top offer at this point.

Austin Stogner, 2019 TE (Prestonwood Christian Academy | Plano, TX)

The 6’6” 235-pound top tight-end in the country in 2019 is just that for a reason. He’s money down field catching the ball, but has the strength and skill to block downlow. On top of that he has a frame that leaves coaches in awe.

Currently the teams that are really hitting it off with Stogner are Florida State, Florida, Oklahoma, and TCU. But when I was out there, so was Corby Meekins who Stogner told me, “We stay in contact about once every other week.” Right now Tom Herman wants to see Austin Stogner in person before really pursuing the tight-end, so they invited him to campus for the June 3rd mini-camp. However, Stogner told me he will not be attending.

Beyond relationship, Austin Stogner is looking for a prestigious program where they use the tight-end as more than a blocker along with education. That appears to be his main concern at this point.

Dax Hill, 2019 DB (Booker T Washington | Tulsa, OK)

I’ve been singing his praises ever since I first ran into him. He has elite speed, great frame, and polished game. Now the versatile athlete up in the Sooner State is starting to blow up with offers from the big boys and Texas hopped on board when Coach Naivar dropped off an offer Thursday.

When I asked him how he felt about the offer he told me, “I'm was excited from the offer and knowing how they have some big recruits that committed recently there shows it's a great place to be.”

Keep an Eye On Them

Chad Bailey, 2018 ILB (Ridge Point | Missouri City, TX)

Touted by his coach as the most under recruited player in the state, the 6’0” 235-pound inside Bailey only has five power five offers, but he proved to me to be a heck of a run stuffer and decent in coverage (hard to come by at this level).

Texas is currently evaluating Bailey, inviting him to be evaluated further during their June 3rd camp, “I talk to Coach Orlando a lot. He told me to come down some more after the Spring Game, and that at the next level he sees me as an inside linebacker more than an outside one.”

Currently the guys in the race besides Texas are Arkansas, Ole Miss, Indiana, Texas Tech, and Michigan State.

Austin Rodriguez, 2019 OG (Prestonwood Christian Academy | Plano, TX)

The 6’3” 295-pound Austin Rodriguez is currently being evaluated by the Longhorns and was recently invited to campus May 28th to be checked out by Tom Herman in person. Rodriguez’s main attribute is he is a very technically gift offensive lineman, as seen in the video below.

On top of that he’s a funny dude, and a big fan of the Texas Longhorns telling me, “My uncle works at Texas… Actually, I’ve been a Texas fan my whole life, so that would be big if I could go there.” Currently Coach Warehime is in charge of Rodriguez’s recruitment.

Logan Wilson, 2019 CB (Bishop Dunne | Dallas, TX)

When I went out to see the 5’10” 160-pound cover corner from Bishop Dunne, I saw a polished game with fluid athleticism. He had college coaches on the sideline asking who he was, and were in disbelief that he was only a class of 2019 guy.

Currently Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Illinois are hot on his trail, with both looking to offer soon, but he went to the Texas Spring Game. When I asked him what he thought he told me, “It was nice. I’m just waiting for Coach Herman to put the program where it used to be with Vince Young… [The lockers] are crazy! Showing the highlights and everything. Like wow!”

Virdel Edwards, 2019 DB (Prestonwood Christian Academy | Plano, TX)

Edwards is a rangy safety; whose natural position is at corner. I was impressed watching him during my time in Plano, and even more impressed with his first offer being Colorado. I could see why. He’s long, strong, and athletic.

Virdel is going to be one to watch over the next few years, and I believe he’ll blow up.

Riley Wilson, 2020 WR (Prestonwood Christian Academy | Plano, TX)

The young 6’1” 160-pound receiver was impressive. Very fluid in his routes and the open field, stronger than you’d expect, and has reliable hands. He also comes from a family with athletic genes, with his father player linebacker at Ohio State back in the early nineties.