Join Our Community

Do you bleed Burnt Orange? Come talk about the Longhorns! Registration is FREE and EASY!
Sign in to follow this  
doc longhorn

What happened to "Burnt ends"?

Well, you tell me. lol. I'm not sure.

The money . . . the money is not getting better for the Big 12 with Baylor taking all these hits. The product is diminished. I can see Texas being upset, being a part of a diminished product and affecting its own bottom line.

Some time ago, "money" would have me suggesting Texas throw themselves at the SEC and get two-network coverage (3 if you count CBS) in addition to LHN, if LHN survived the move. But EPSN is going broke, nobody likes them much anymore, and thus their influence will be well, diminished.

SO, this is where I'm looking for a map because I'm lost. ACC? Big10? PAC12? SuperDuper New Conference?

Thing is, IF Texas is REALLY serious about the stand they're making, they'll not be able to wait a whole lot longer before they outright appear okay with things and the situation with the conference.

Am I warm?

You were on the right track with your original question.  Lets gain some altitude and survey the present situation. 

First of all, everyone needs to understand that the powers that be LOVE the LHN.  And when I say love, I'm talking deep, romantic, orgasmic love. Secondly, while being a member of this so called terrible conference, UT is looking to PROFIT $97M this coming year.  That profit is more than most schools total athletic revenue.  It's obscene.

See where I'm going here?  Keep all this in mind when discussing UT's intents after GOR. 

Moving to the SEC, PAC B1G or the ACC would have to be, in UT's consideration, a massive jump in net revenues FIRST AND FOREMOST.  And, in my experience, UT has always been reactive and not innovative.

In addition, UT would have to consider the Big 12 to be a future financial albatross as well.  And UT clearly knows that it is the lynchpin for the success of the Big 12 and UT is VERY arrogant in this regard.

But, dammit, fans HATE the Big 12.  Well, tough darts, fans.

What if OU bolts?  Read the above bolded.  That would cause UT to consider a move.

Baylor?  UT is a stodgy old school and the Baylor disgrace does not go unnoticed.  But also remember that for UT to do something is like trying to turn the Titanic around in the Panama canal.

Okay, are you getting an idea what will probably happen in UT's future?

Like a neon sign - just follow the money.

You were on the right track with your original question.  Lets gain some altitude and survey the present situation. 

First of all, everyone needs to understand that the powers that be LOVE the LHN.  And when I say love, I'm talking deep, romantic, orgasmic love. Secondly, while being a member of this so called terrible conference, UT is looking to PROFIT $97M this coming year.  That profit is more than most schools total athletic revenue.  It's obscene.

See where I'm going here?  Keep all this in mind when discussing UT's intents after GOR. 

Moving to the SEC, PAC B1G or the ACC would have to be, in UT's consideration, a massive jump in net revenues FIRST AND FOREMOST.  And, in my experience, UT has always been reactive and not innovative.

In addition, UT would have to consider the Big 12 to be a future financial albatross as well.  And UT clearly knows that it is the lynchpin for the success of the Big 12 and UT is VERY arrogant in this regard.

But, dammit, fans HATE the Big 12.  Well, tough darts, fans.

What if OU bolts?  Read the above bolded.  That would cause UT to consider a move.

Baylor?  UT is a stodgy old school and the Baylor disgrace does not go unnoticed.  But also remember that for UT to do something is like trying to turn the Titanic around in the Panama canal.

Okay, are you getting an idea what will probably happen in UT's future?

Like a neon sign - just follow the money.

It sounds like UT goes nowhere and does nothing unless OU decides to leave. Thats reactive and not innovative. And whether UT likes it or not, OU will look like the innovator there and Texas will look like an innocent bystander/victim.

While Texas may be gaining $100 million profit each year, what type of hit is the image/brand taking by just being part of the Big 12? Like it or not, we've become a second tier conference.

One other thing, and I almost hate to bring it up because it's a story we've talked about so much on every board – uniforms.

Word I hear is that in one game this year where we're the home team, we will be sporting black jerseys with burnt orange lettering/numbers. I have heard nothing about the rest of the uniform (helmet, pants) but the jersey is something I've heard from two different sources who are somewhat tied into the program. They say its something Herman has pushed.

You hear anything, Doc?

One other thing, and I almost hate to bring it up because it's a story we've talked about so much on every board – uniforms.

Word I hear is that in one game this year where we're the home team, we will be sporting black jerseys with burnt orange lettering/numbers. I have heard nothing about the rest of the uniform (helmet, pants) but the jersey is something I've heard from two different sources who are somewhat tied into the program. They say its something Herman has pushed.

You hear anything, Doc?

IMO, and I hate the idea, but if they do, then go all black with orange lettering/numbers and emblem...

Just what we need, a "me too" black uniform like aggy and the other teams with no enviable winning tradition. Because....."recruiting"

%40tedhymanimages.jpg

Yes, the "recruiting" has been awful of late hasn't it? These recent commits must really hate cool traditional uniforms.

Just what we need, a "me too" black uniform like aggy and the other teams with no enviable winning tradition. Because....."recruiting"

%40tedhymanimages.jpg

Again, I hate the idea.  But I can understand the "why".  And I'd even make a few changes to this: i.e. black face mask, no stripe on the pants, small, burnt orange Longhorn on the hip, black matte helmet

%40tedhymanimages.jpg

Man that uniform is awesome. One question, when did Oklahoma State adopt the longhorn logo on their helmet?

PS That is not burn't orange

It sounds like UT goes nowhere and does nothing unless OU decides to leave. Thats reactive and not innovative. And whether UT likes it or not, OU will look like the innovator there and Texas will look like an innocent bystander/victim.

While Texas may be gaining $100 million profit each year, what type of hit is the image/brand taking by just being part of the Big 12? Like it or not, we've become a second tier conference.

UT owns the Big 12 - Just like Bama owns the SEC only more so.  Consider this...what if Bama decided to bolt the SEC and join the Big 12?  What would that do to the SEC AND the Big 12?

Being in the Big 12 does not hurt the UT brand.  Not in the least.  The $$ figures don't lie.

Concerning bolting to another conference - there is one more thing that cannot be overlooked.  Texas is proud and, yes, arrogant.  It will not play second fiddle to a Bama, USC, FSU or tOSU.  That will never happen.  Ever. All you have to do is look a OU's position in the Big 12. 

And if you think this little topic wasn't  discussed during the PAC debacle, you are mistaken.

Easiest path to the playoffs if we are in the big12. Thats good and bad. I think independent is the best bet.

No, this is a GREAT point and has been discussed in length.  Independence has been discussed.  The Texas lege would fight it tooth and nail.  It's not happening.

You hear anything, Doc?

Haven't heard anything but, IMO, 17 year olds and an unproven coach aren't going to tell UT what to do.  He wins a natty - hell, he wins the conference he will have more receptive ears.

Sadly Texas is not doing or gong anywhere until the GOR expire in 2025. 

More explicitly, UT is not going to jeopardize their profits nor give up its tier rights.

UNLESS, the money to be made mitigates the penaltie$ of leaving.  And it gets complicated with this as well.  If UT leaves, so does OU and probably OSU and WVU.  In that case the conference will dissolve and the GOR dissolves with it.

Man that uniform is awesome. One question, when did Oklahoma State adopt the longhorn logo on their helmet?

PS That is not burn't orange

Honestly, I agree with you.  That uni is badass looking.  But for one game only, and the grill, gloves and shoes would have to be black as well.

I just don't want us to be Oregon or (God forbid) Maryland.

I am not capable in doing graphics or any type of visual presentation, but am wondering people's thoughts on a matte finished burnt orange helmet with a white Longhorn decal on each side of the helmet.  This would look good with storm trooper white, all burnt orange or a combo burnt orange jersey or pant with the opposite in white.  Just a thought.  Would be interested in others opinions.

I am not capable in doing graphics or any type of visual presentation, but am wondering people's thoughts on a matte finished burnt orange helmet with a white Longhorn decal on each side of the helmet.  This would look good with storm trooper white, all burnt orange or a combo burnt orange jersey or pant with the opposite in white.  Just a thought.  Would be interested in others opinions.

I wouldn't be opposed to a burnt orange helmet as long as it's worn with the like colored jersey.

I would keep the helmet the same. Its not in play, IMO. Take one look at OU's alternate helmets. They look stupid every time they wear it. If you want to play with the helmet, put a burnt orange or chrome facemark on it.

Black jerseys, okay. Black pants, okay. One game.

I would keep the helmet the same. Its not in play, IMO. Take one look at OU's alternate helmets. They look stupid every time they wear it. If you want to play with the helmet, put a burnt orange or chrome facemark on it.

Black jerseys, okay. Black pants, okay. One game.

You couldn't wear the black uni's in the RRR.  Half he stadium in red and half in burnt orange?  Everyone would be wondering who the black team was.  :)

Nope in spite of the fact the black looks badass, I'm happy with what we got.

But, admit it, Baylors unis are awesome.  We just don't know if it is Baylor or Oregon.A

And, speaking of Maryland, what the hell is wrong with those people?  Is their admin on crack for allowing those obscene uniforms on the field?  Why hasn't the NCAA fined that bunch of dope heads for those monstrosities?

I can just see us, in our storm trooper unis, contrasting against a uni that looks as if it was designed for "One flew over the cuckoos nest".  After our kids quit laughing, they will curb stomp those goobers.