Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!

franchise_quest_new.jpg

“HORN†In On Franchise / Business Ownership

…a monthly post with blurbs, links, and other words-of-wisdom

regarding self-employment; career transition;

and franchise / business ownership;

as well as information for business owners

who may be interested in franchising their business.

May 2017

Franchise Opportunity Knocks

Self-employment Beckons

Start answering the call right here.

News you can use to help you find

The right franchise / business opportunity for you.

April Newsletter is available for viewing by clicking on the link below:

FranchiseQuestLibraryApril2017.pdf

Entrepreneurs Don't Overthink Things. They Make a Decision and Go With It.

Note:  This month's newsletter; 2017 newsletters; as well as copies of 2016 and 2015 newsletters can be viewed by going to the Franchise Quest Website.  Click on the Website link below, or go to:

www.franchise-quest.com

Resource Center > Newsletter

You Want To Be Self-Employed...Business Models To Consider

At some point in their working life, most Americans think about the possibility of opening their own business.  Whether they have been fired, downsized, retired, or just want to be their own boss, they all have the same thought…â€There must be something better!† Business ownership / self-employment is not the right avenue for everyone.  For those folks who are truly ready and capable of being a business owner, they must determine the business model that will best fit their goals and needs.  The most common business models are independent business; franchise; and business opportunity.  Below are brief descriptions of the different types of franchises and business opportunity.

Single-unit Franchises…A franchisee has the right to operate one franchise unit. Most franchisees enter the world of franchising by owning one unit. It is a great way to get in and understand the system before taking on more units.

Territory: The franchisee may have a small radius of exclusive territory to operate within. If it is a retail store, the area of exclusivity may be a two or three mile radius around the store. If it is a home-based business the area may consist of a few specific zip codes.

Level of participation: The franchisee is very involved with almost all operations of this type. Even if it is a semi-absentee owned business, the franchisee will want to be present at the business and be as hands-on as possible.

Typical liquid capital required: $25,000 to $60,000 initial out-of-pocket investment required on a total investment of $50,000 to $200,000.

Multi-unit Franchises…The franchisee acquires more than one unit of the franchise, usually at reduced franchise fees. The risk is lower because the franchisee can take advantage of the economies-of-scale theory; by spreading costs across multi-units, the locations may be more successful. A good sign of the health of the franchise is if many of the franchisees are multi-unit owners.

Territory: There is usually no exclusive territory where the franchises must be set up. The franchisee may have one unit in one part of town with a surrounding radius of exclusivity, and another unit in another part of town 15 miles away or even in another county with its exclusive radius of operation.

Level of participation: The franchisee is less involved with each of the units operations, but will be managing multiple operations and will need to have some level of supervision in each unit. If many units are opened, a general manager and additional administrative and training staff may be needed. The franchisee is more of a general manager when many units are involved.

Typical liquid capital required: $50,000 to $70,000 initial out-of-pocket capital is required to take care of mostly the initial franchise fees. The rest of the investment is usually financed when each unit is opened.

Area Development Franchises…This license usually grants the franchisee the right to open a certain number of franchises in a given area. There is usually a production schedule where the franchisee must open a certain number of franchises during a certain period. The franchisee has an exclusive area where no other franchisees can be allowed to open a franchise.

Territory: The franchisee maintains an exclusive geographic territory as long as the opening schedule is maintained. The territories range from a small city to parts or all of a larger city.

Level of participation: The franchisee will be very involved in the beginning stages of the first location to make sure it is successful. The franchisee will also need to be looking for qualified real estate to open the next few locations. Once several locations are open, the franchisee will need additional assistance to manage several units.

Typical liquid capital required: $60,000 to $120,000 initially to secure the area, pay all franchise fees and have additional start-up capital. The franchisee will then need to be able to finance the rest of the start-up costs for each of the franchises, as they open.

Master Franchises…A Master Franchisee, sometimes called a Regional Developer, has the rights to a larger area than that of an Area Developer. The Master Franchisee, in addition to opening franchises at a much reduced franchise fee and royalty, can also sell unit franchises, multi-unit franchises and area development franchises and make a nice return on the sale. The master usually receives a part of the royalty and franchise fee paid by each franchisee. There may be additional income available from distribution of products through the franchisees in the area and possibly even some real estate interest. The master becomes somewhat of a sub-franchisor for the area, without having experienced all the trial and error the original franchisor did. The master franchisee will usually want to open and operate at least one unit (pilot location), for income and use as a training center. Master franchises are not offered as readily as the other levels of franchising.  However, when they are available they usually sell quickly. The income available from a master franchise is extremely lucrative. The initial investment is low compared to the type of value you can build in the master franchise area. The flexibility is also the greatest at this level.

Territory: Usually is a large metropolitan area, an entire state or even several states or country. It is an exclusive area and will remain exclusive as long as the master franchisee meets the development schedule of franchises in the territory.

Level or participation: The master franchisee will usually set up and operate at least one unit and use a manger to manage it while working on selling other “sub-franchises†and assisting them in operating properly. Very rarely is a master franchisee “hands on†in a unit franchise. They tend to spend more of their time operating like a business consultant or coach to their franchisees to help them become successful.

Typical liquid capital required: $100,000 to $250,000 is needed to acquire the territory and for initial liquid capital to start the area. Financing will be secured for the start-up of the unit franchise.

“Business Opportunityâ€â€¦Like a franchise, a “business opportunity†will have a start-up package, operational methodology, training and on-going support.  A business opportunity charges an upfront fee that is comparable to a franchise fee, but there are no on-going royalty fees charged by the business opportunity company.   A unique difference between a franchise and a business opportunity is a business opportunity does not have the rules and reporting requirements associated with franchise ownership.  The quality of on-going support will vary widely across the spectrum of business opportunities.  Some will provide very little, while others provide extensive continuing support and training.    Business opportunities may be more suitable for experienced business people who desire the advantage of having access to a proven system with an organization to lean on for support from both the corporate staff and the other owners as well, but still have the opportunity to “do things their own wayâ€.

Does Your Life In Corporate America Seem Like You Are Standing On The Ledge?   If So, Step Back And Move Your Work-Life In A New Direction...

This is what I do…

My role is to challenge your thinking which may enable you to chart a new path to greater freedom, independence and personal fulfillment. 

If you are ready to leave your comfort zone and explore business ownership options, let’s talk.

I provide professional consulting and coaching to those who wish to invest in a franchise / business opportunity, and would like a fresh perspective.  My services are at no cost to you and will provide you information to help you better understand your franchising / business opportunity options.

My free, no-obligation services can assist you:

·To determine if self-employment / business ownership is the right career / personal option for you,

· Find quality opportunities that are not widely advertised….the right franchise / business opportunity for you, may be one that you have never heard of and wouldn’t even guess,

·Gain access to an extensive inventory of franchisebusiness opportunities [biz ops], and low-cost-of entry home-based businesses,

·Avoid costly and / or time consuming mistakes,

·Identify options that best fit your goals, lifestyle and business objectives,

·Understand how you can use you 401K or IRA funds tax deferred and penalty / interest free to fund a business start-up.

Oliver Wendell Holmes once said, “The great thing in this world is not so much where you stand, as in what direction you are moving.† Are you allowing your professional life to wander aimlessly, or stand still?  Perhaps you are in career transition and have always dreamed about being self-employed?  

Would this scenario be of interest and value to you   …a process where you receive assistance to help you better identify your goals, financial requirements, lifestyle needs and what you would like for your work-life to look like; then provided information on self-employment options and guidance on exploring these opportunities within the confines of a safe and no-obligation environment. 

Remember, a window of opportunity won’t open itself…

If you are ready, let’s discuss a methodical approach (not a one-time event) and an informative journey through the exploration / discovery process

*********************************************************************************************************************

Are you in career transition, or contemplating making a change?  Would you like a "sounding-board"?  As a former Human Resources executive and now a Franchise Coach / Consultant, I have over three (3) decades of assisting folks with career transition.  Plus, I have personally walked down that path a couple times myself.  If you would like to visit about career transition in general, entering self-employment via a franchise or business opportunity and / or UT sports, please call me at your convenience… 210-479-2491, or if outside San Antonio, 888-479-2491.  Or shoot me an email with your phone number and a good day(s) / time(s) to call you.  I will gladly provide complimentary advice and counsel. And, remember, I'm a coach, not a sales person.

Have a job you don’t like?  Seek other employment…I call that “Changing Your Curtainsâ€.  Perhaps, you prefer a bolder approach which may provide a new and invigorating work-life…I refer to that as “Changing Your Viewâ€.  In 2001, I decided to “Change My Viewâ€.  If you are ready…Let’s Talk.  I can help you “Change Your View†too…

Don't Just Change Your Curtains... Change Your View. I DidMy Story 

*********************************************************************************************

Looking for Texas Hill Country Property…

House, storage building, workshop, ponds, water well, and septic on 165 acres.

30 miles northwest of San Antonio / 9 miles southeast of Bandera.

********************************************************************************************

If you are seeking top-quality financial / investment advice, I highly recommend

Teamwork Financial Group and Doug Moe...Texas Ex.

Doug is the CEO of Teamwork Financial Group in San Antonio.  He is an attorney and CPA.  He has provided valuable insight to me and my wife regarding investment / financial advice, including guidance on having a â€Will†vs. “Revocable Living Trustâ€, re-balancing our investment portfolio, as well as assisting us move a portion of our IRA investments into Fixed Asset Annuities.  Over the past several months, I have had a number of very enjoyable meetings with Doug, since we have a tendency to spend time talking sports, as well as financial / investment stuff. Doug played basketball at UT in the 80s and is the son of Doug Moe, the former coach of the San Antonio Spurs. And, a great guy.

*********************************************************************************************

Do You Need Furniture Repaired... 

If so and in the San Antonio area, CALL Pat Bonney...Texas Ex... Owner of a Guardsman Furniture Pro. franchise...The Most Trusted Name in Furniture Repair. Pat was on the UT baseball team in the early 70s.  I have used Pat's service multiple times for a variety of furniture repairs in my business and home.  Great guy and fantastic service.   210-849-9663   Email: gfpsa@sbcglobal.net

Remodeling…General Contracting Franchise...

One of the hottest new home service franchise opportunities in the U.S.  14 year proven business model offering new franchise options.   Fast start up.  Provides the opportunity to customize your business from basic home repair to full-scale remodeling. Primary focus is on area development franchise options for the San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Ft. Worth and Houston, Texas markets. Single unit franchise territories are also available for the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. Home-based with minimal investment, fewer operating restrictions and on-going costs.   Investment:  $58,000 - $120,000…single unit.

ENTREPRENEURSHIP

Is Living A Few Years Of Your

Life Like Most People Won’t,

So That You Can Spend The

Rest Of Your Life Like

Most People Can’t.

-Unknown-

Small / medium size business owners:

Would you like to grow your business by franchising.

$1,000 Referral Bonus $1,000

Additional Information Is Available at Franchise Quest

If you would like to visit, please don’t be shy about reaching out…

I’m a coach, not a sales person.

Hook 'em. 

Larry S. Powell
Franchise Quest
210-479-2491
Outside San Antonio: 888-479-2491 
franchisequest@sbcglobal.net