Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
joeywa

Note on Texas Baseball this week

Work calls so I'll be out of pocket for the games on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday this week.

Y'all are either on your own to get threads going or perhaps Will will get 'em going.

Prob won't pop in unless I have some free time. Hook Em! 🤘🏻🐂⚾️

More bullpen issues last night...

But on the bright side at least we hit the ball!!!!! :rolleyes:

A lot like my golf game; difficult to get all cylinders firing in unison.

Does anyone think the coaching changes in both baseball and basketball (leaving football out because Texas just made the coaching change to Herman,) would be an instant fix? I like to believe that common sense and sanity prevails within the fan base, but comments here, on other boards and on Twitter make me question this.

Realistic expectations and rational thinking seem to be left on the doorstep.

Does anyone think the coaching changes in both baseball and basketball (leaving football out because Texas just made the coaching change to Herman,) would be an instant fix? I like to believe that common sense and sanity prevails within the fan base, but comments here, on other boards and on Twitter make me question this.

Realistic thinking is that a basketball coach should be able to make an improvement in his second year. At least a little. Smart hasn't.

I give Pierce a total pass at this point. He is just getting started. But right now the baseball team is a total mess. Not Pierce's fault but it is what it is.

Oh no I totally have faith in Pierce! Doesn't mean I still don't get frustrated with the losses.

He's completely changing the style of offense so anything .500 or better I will be happy. I just started to get a little confident after the UCLA sweep and the Aggy win. 

I disagree with this.  I don't know why there are so many who expect after a coaching change an immediate bottoming out is to be expected.  You don't have to search too far to find evidence to the contrary; take Mack Brown and Rick Barnes for example.  The turn around in year one was nothing less than spectacular in both cases.  Both started off slowly and by the end of the season teams were really good. 

This is the weakest period for Longhorn sports since I became a fan (Earl Campbell's junior year).  I am finding it difficult to stay as optimistic as some, repeating a consistent mantra of "we're young;" "learning a new system;" "about to turn the corner...."  I'm not sure what is causing it, but something stinks down there on the 40 Acres.   

I personally did not expect Shaka to win a championship this year but being .500 was a reasonable expectation. 11-22 and last place in the Big 12 is awful. Now with baseball my expectations are about the same but at this point I think it is fair to question the way Pierce has handled the relief pitching. Especially when it appears they are really struggling... As Bear said the baseball team is a complete mess. Now with that said I tweeted way before he was hired that I thought he would be a good hire and I still think he will be but just because he is in year one does not mean he should not be questioned or criticized. 

I think Pierce is doing the best with the hand he was dealt. None of these are his recruits. They don't arrive until next year. Add in injuries to Gurwitz and Mathis, two of the better hitters, and it puts him in a position to okay multiple frosh.

Regarding Shaka, he had some issues this season, no doubt. The number one issue was no PG. Even John Wooden would struggle w/o a PG to captain the floor. He will have to get that corrected this next year, and we'll see how he fares. Additionally, folks say "get a JUCO guy." That's a lot easier said than done. Getting a transfer into UT is a very difficult challenge. Not so much at other schools. Texas, in some ways, is its own worst enemy.

Also, Joe Baker is going to get his right shoulder operated on, (arthriscopic) and will miss the remainder of the 2017 season. Have known something wasn't quite right there. Word is that he will redshirt.

Not a good start to the game tonight as they allowed 7 runs in the 1st. Fortunately we have bounced back and trail 7-6 going into top of 3rd.

Go Vaqueros!!! ✌ï¸

(Before y'all throw me out, I graduated from the predecessor to what is now UTRGV... The University of Texas Pan American. It's the only game I'll root against my beloved Longhorns)