• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 drgilbert  

drgilbert

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

Tech acts like they've never won a game before. We'll get em tomorrow.
  • Bear19 likes this

#102 MikeV73

MikeV73

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

Gotta swing the bat at some point. Three strikes with the bat on your shoulder...one questionnable high called strike IMO though. They rotate who works home plate for tomorrow right?
  • Bear19 likes this

#103 Bear19

Bear19

Under Contract

• Members
  • 2,941 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

Two call strike threes in that ninth-inning deserve a real butt chewing.
  • Johnstark23 likes this

#104 joeywa

joeywa

Unofficial HS BBQ Consultant & Baseball Pundit

• 12,900 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

FINAL BOOK

TEXAS 1/2/1

Tech 2/7/1

WP Martin

SV McMillon

LP Kingham

Thanks for following

Be back at 4 PM SAT

Hook EM!

• Bear19 likes this
"This is the place where brilliant minds assemble to willfully pool
ignorance with questionable logic in order to reach absurd conclusions."

-Sign hanging in Study Butte General Store, Study Butte, TX

@joeywa_44

#105 joeywa

joeywa

• 12,900 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

Tech acts like they've never won a game before. We'll get em tomorrow.

Pretty much how Tech folks are as a whole. I hope every one of players was made to stand there and watch that foolishness.
  • Johnstark23 and OrangeLarry like this

@joeywa_44

#106 Will Baizer

Will Baizer

Contributing Author

• Members
  • 884 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:12 PM

Texas Drops the Pitcher Duel and First Conference Game to Texas Tech 1-2

By Will Baizer

It was a good old fashion pitchers duel in the first of three vs Texas Tech. The match up was Texas Nolan Kingham (2-2, 0.95 ERA) vs Texas Techs Davis Martin (3-1, 3.10 ERA) and both pitchers only gave up one run through 6 complete innings.

Both of those runs came off solo shots by the 9-hole hitters for each team. Texas Techs 9-hole hitter, Michael Davis (1-3 w/1 HR), took Kingham yard, sending his ball over the left center field fence.

Texas 9-hole hitter, Tate Shaw (1-1 w/1 HR), responded with his very own deep shot over the right field wall, just getting over the glove of a leaping right fielder.

However, you know what they say, If the pitcher needs to throw a shut out then youre going to lose the game. Well, that statement doesnt ring any truer when Kingham takes the mound. It just seems like whenever Kingham gives up a run, the offense cannot get enough firepower to put runs on the board for him. It may seem that way because it has been so far. Two wins with two shut outs. Two loses two games giving up a run. Nolan Kingham pitched 7 complete innings, had 3Ks on 93 pitches, and only allowed 2 earned runs. His ERA still sits at sub 1 despite having 28.1 innings pitched. In fact, hes only given up 3 earned runs (4 total) this entire year during his 5 appearances.

On the other side, Davis Martin had something to prove after Texas took him to town last year during his freshman season when he gave up 5 runs over six innings in his longest career game (103 pitches). This year he took it to the Longhorns surrendering only 1 run off only 2 hits over 6 innings tallying 6Ks.

Nolan Kingham gave up just one more run in the 7th inning when Texas Tech put on a hit and run and Mike Berglund (2-4 w/1 RBI) knocked a double into the right field corner. That was enough for the Texas Tech Red Raiders to take the first game in Austin 2-1.

Game 2 of the series will begin at 6:30PM and the starting pitcher will be Morgan Cooper

• joeywa likes this

Staff writer here | host of 4th and 5 podcast
@WillBaizer
will@thebaizers.com

#107 Will Baizer

Will Baizer

Contributing Author

• Members
  • 884 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

I'm not going to transcribe the post-game interviews because they aren't much and I forgot my headphones.

I'll summarize:

David Pierce :

"It was a well pitched game."

"I thought we did a good job of minimizing damage that gave us a chance to win the game."

"They had good stuff on the mound. We couldn't get it done."

Doing anything differently tomorrow? "Win... We can't give up our starting pitching and defense. Have to keep giving ourselves a chance to win the game."

"Gurwitz will be out for a minimum of 3 weeks. Patrick is day-to-day."

Bret Boswell:

"This game has become more of a rivalry than Oklahoma."

"They did well at keeping the pitches low in the zone."

• joeywa likes this

Staff writer here | host of 4th and 5 podcast
@WillBaizer
will@thebaizers.com

#108 joeywa

joeywa

• 12,900 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

Good job tonight Will.

I will say this, and it started with Jones first AB in B1; blue really got into the head of our hitters when he gave Tech Ps the 4-6" off the plate away. While I understand that hitters must adjust throughout the game, I felt out hitters didn't make those adjustments. We had two hits, a single by Hamilton and the Shaw HR. That means we had 27 outs, 11 by K. Only drew 6 walks. We left 7 on base, and I believe we left 3 in scoring position. We showed flashes of putting something together but it was either wasted, (9th inning) by bad ABs or we started with RISP too late (w/2 outs)

Blue also had a funky zone for TT, but our Ps didn't seem to get the same dimensions as often that theirs did.

Time to pull up the britches, dust off and get out there with some fire tomorrow.

@joeywa_44

#109 dillohorn

dillohorn

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Longhorns

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:36 AM

Like last year, scoring 1 or 2 runs won't win many games. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Baseball, Texas Baseball, HookEm, St. Patricks Day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users