Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
joeywa

****Texas vs Texas Tech Official St. Patty's Day Game Thread****

Texas Drops the Pitcher Duel and First Conference Game to Texas Tech 1-2

By Will Baizer

It was a good old fashion pitchers’ duel in the first of three vs Texas Tech. The match up was Texas’ Nolan Kingham (2-2, 0.95 ERA) vs Texas Tech’s Davis Martin (3-1, 3.10 ERA) and both pitchers only gave up one run through 6 complete innings.

Both of those runs came off solo shots by the 9-hole hitters for each team. Texas Tech’s 9-hole hitter, Michael Davis (1-3 w/1 HR), took Kingham yard, sending his ball over the left center field fence.

Texas’ 9-hole hitter, Tate Shaw (1-1 w/1 HR), responded with his very own deep shot over the right field wall, just getting over the glove of a leaping right fielder.

However, you know what they say, “If the pitcher needs to throw a shut out then you’re going to lose the game.” Well, that statement doesn’t ring any truer when Kingham takes the mound. It just seems like whenever Kingham gives up a run, the offense cannot get enough firepower to put runs on the board for him. It may seem that way because it has been so far. Two wins with two shut outs. Two loses two games giving up a run. Nolan Kingham pitched 7 complete innings, had 3Ks on 93 pitches, and only allowed 2 earned runs. His ERA still sits at sub 1 despite having 28.1 innings pitched. In fact, he’s only given up 3 earned runs (4 total) this entire year during his 5 appearances.

On the other side, Davis Martin had something to prove after Texas took him to town last year during his freshman season when he gave up 5 runs over six innings in his longest career game (103 pitches). This year he took it to the Longhorns surrendering only 1 run off only 2 hits over 6â…“ innings tallying 6Ks.

Nolan Kingham gave up just one more run in the 7th inning when Texas Tech put on a hit and run and Mike Berglund (2-4 w/1 RBI) knocked a double into the right field corner. That was enough for the Texas Tech Red Raiders to take the first game in Austin 2-1.

Game 2 of the series will begin at 6:30PM and the starting pitcher will be Morgan Cooper

I'm not going to transcribe the post-game interviews because they aren't much and I forgot my headphones.

I'll summarize:

David Pierce :

"It was a well pitched game."

"I thought we did a good job of minimizing damage that gave us a chance to win the game."

"They had good stuff on the mound. We couldn't get it done."

Doing anything differently tomorrow? "Win... We can't give up our starting pitching and defense. Have to keep giving ourselves a chance to win the game."

"Gurwitz will be out for a minimum of 3 weeks. Patrick is day-to-day."

Bret Boswell:

"This game has become more of a rivalry than Oklahoma."

"They did well at keeping the pitches low in the zone."

Good job tonight Will.

I will say this, and it started with Jones first AB in B1; blue really got into the head of our hitters when he gave Tech Ps the 4-6" off the plate away. While I understand that hitters must adjust throughout the game, I felt out hitters didn't make those adjustments. We had two hits, a single by Hamilton and the Shaw HR. That means we had 27 outs, 11 by K. Only drew 6 walks. We left 7 on base, and I believe we left 3 in scoring position. We showed flashes of putting something together but it was either wasted, (9th inning) by bad ABs or we started with RISP too late (w/2 outs)

Blue also had a funky zone for TT, but our Ps didn't seem to get the same dimensions as often that theirs did.

Time to pull up the britches, dust off and get out there with some fire tomorrow.