Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Seahorn

Reports: Texas Basketball Assistant David Cason No Longer On Staff

A well-deserved firing. I mentioned the poor guard coaching a few times during the season. I just wish Lucas could be demoted as well - it was a horrible offseason decision to make him an assistant. Both Cason and Jai Lucas have done a terrible job with the guards this year. There has been no improvement with the system offense, shooting, passing, or really anything from the guards. Cason really did not get any improvement from the guards last year for most of the season. Hopefully this move will improve our current coaching situation, and maybe Shaka will actually try to run his offense next season. If not, see you later, Shaka. 

A well-deserved firing. I mentioned the poor guard coaching a few times during the season. I just wish Lucas could be demoted as well - it was a horrible offseason decision to make him an assistant. Both Cason and Jai Lucas have done a terrible job with the guards this year. There has been no improvement with the system offense, shooting, passing, or really anything from the guards. Cason really did not get any improvement from the guards last year for most of the season. Hopefully this move will improve our current coaching situation, and maybe Shaka will actually try to run his offense next season. If not, see you later, Shaka.

Agree with you Bob, no progress with the guards during the season...aside maybe from Jones with increased scoring. The young guards with poor passing, decision making, inability to run an offense, and poor free throw shooting! Loved your work in Happy Gilmore.

Reports trickled out earlier today that Texas basketball assistant David Cason would no longer be on Shaka Smart's staff.

https://twitter.com/zachmasonsports/status/842424935297495041

https://twitter.com/dmccomasob/status/842488890258808833

Texas head basketball coach Shaka Smart has now released a statement on Cason's departure.

https://twitter.com/bobballousports/status/842491511925346305

Trying to save his job........ala Brown and Strong.

Wasn't Morell the guy who got demoted from his asst coach gig at UT to make room for Lucas to be an asst? Not a very earth changing move here by Shaka.

Apparently it was always in the cards for him to come back to the bench. Keeping Lucas in Austin was the most pressing need as it played a role in getting Jarrett Allen to sign.

Apparently it was always in the cards for him to come back to the bench. Keeping Lucas in Austin was the most pressing need as it played a role in getting Jarrett Allen to sign.

I knew the move was to get Allen....however, if he leaves for the NBA that was an unnecessary move for one craptastic 10 win season. Unless Lucas is that good of an asst that we couldn't lose him?

I knew the move was to get Allen....however, if he leaves for the NBA that was an unnecessary move for one craptastic 10 win season. Unless Lucas is that good of an asst that we couldn't lose him?

Aside from Allen he is very valuable on the recruiting trail to due to the contacts and reputation he possesses. It extended past Allen.

Aside from Allen he is very valuable on the recruiting trail to due to the contacts and reputation he possesses. It extended past Allen.

Speaking of Allen, 24/7 says he will enter the 2017 draft but will not sign with an agent. #HeGone

Interesting that Smart feels mLucas has more upside than the guy he canned and possibly the guy he demoted last season. Of course the demotion was most likely strategic and orchestrated. I hope these bold coaching moves pay off!