• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Seahorn

Daniel Seahorn

On the 40

• 1,666 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

Reports trickled out earlier today that Texas basketball assistant David Cason would no longer be on Shaka Smart's staff.

Texas head basketball coach Shaka Smart has now released a statement on Cason's departure.

https://twitter.com/bobballousports/status/842491511925346305

#2 North Texas Golfer

North Texas Golfer

Under Contract

• Members
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

Is this a case of Shaka throwing someone under the bus? 

• dillohorn likes this

#3 Daniel Seahorn

Daniel Seahorn

On the 40

• 1,666 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

Is this a case of Shaka throwing someone under the bus?

I'm honestly not sure. With as bad of a season they just had I guess some change was inevitable.

#4 Danny Hale

Danny Hale

Veteran

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

probably has more to do with getting Mike Morrell back on recruiting trips

• Sirhornsalot likes this

#5 Bob Barker 007

Bob Barker 007

West Campusian

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

A well-deserved firing. I mentioned the poor guard coaching a few times during the season. I just wish Lucas could be demoted as well - it was a horrible offseason decision to make him an assistant. Both Cason and Jai Lucas have done a terrible job with the guards this year. There has been no improvement with the system offense, shooting, passing, or really anything from the guards. Cason really did not get any improvement from the guards last year for most of the season. Hopefully this move will improve our current coaching situation, and maybe Shaka will actually try to run his offense next season. If not, see you later, Shaka. 

#6 MikeV73

MikeV73

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

A well-deserved firing. I mentioned the poor guard coaching a few times during the season. I just wish Lucas could be demoted as well - it was a horrible offseason decision to make him an assistant. Both Cason and Jai Lucas have done a terrible job with the guards this year. There has been no improvement with the system offense, shooting, passing, or really anything from the guards. Cason really did not get any improvement from the guards last year for most of the season. Hopefully this move will improve our current coaching situation, and maybe Shaka will actually try to run his offense next season. If not, see you later, Shaka.

Agree with you Bob, no progress with the guards during the season...aside maybe from Jones with increased scoring. The young guards with poor passing, decision making, inability to run an offense, and poor free throw shooting! Loved your work in Happy Gilmore.
  • Bob Barker 007 likes this

#7 dillohorn

dillohorn

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Longhorns

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:41 AM

Reports trickled out earlier today that Texas basketball assistant David Cason would no longer be on Shaka Smart's staff.

Texas head basketball coach Shaka Smart has now released a statement on Cason's departure.

https://twitter.com/bobballousports/status/842491511925346305

Trying to save his job........ala Brown and Strong.

#8 Daniel Seahorn

Daniel Seahorn

On the 40

• 1,666 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

#9 83Dee

83Dee

Veteran

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

Good move??

#10 MikeV73

MikeV73

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:07 PM

Wasn't Morell the guy who got demoted from his asst coach gig at UT to make room for Lucas to be an asst? Not a very earth changing move here by Shaka.

#11 dillohorn

dillohorn

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Longhorns

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

Need to be looking for a better HC.

• Bear19 likes this

#12 Daniel Seahorn

Daniel Seahorn

On the 40

• 1,666 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

Wasn't Morell the guy who got demoted from his asst coach gig at UT to make room for Lucas to be an asst? Not a very earth changing move here by Shaka.

Apparently it was always in the cards for him to come back to the bench. Keeping Lucas in Austin was the most pressing need as it played a role in getting Jarrett Allen to sign.
  • MikeV73 likes this

#13 Daniel Seahorn

Daniel Seahorn

On the 40

• 1,666 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

Need to be looking for a better HC.

I'm not ready to bail on Shaka after two seasons. This season is rough, but let's give him some time before we start trying to run him off.
  • longhorn_mig likes this

#14 MikeV73

MikeV73

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:45 AM

Apparently it was always in the cards for him to come back to the bench. Keeping Lucas in Austin was the most pressing need as it played a role in getting Jarrett Allen to sign.

I knew the move was to get Allen....however, if he leaves for the NBA that was an unnecessary move for one craptastic 10 win season. Unless Lucas is that good of an asst that we couldn't lose him?

#15 Daniel Seahorn

Daniel Seahorn

On the 40

• 1,666 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

I knew the move was to get Allen....however, if he leaves for the NBA that was an unnecessary move for one craptastic 10 win season. Unless Lucas is that good of an asst that we couldn't lose him?

Aside from Allen he is very valuable on the recruiting trail to due to the contacts and reputation he possesses. It extended past Allen.
  • MikeV73 likes this

#16 Dbut82

Dbut82

Rookie

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

Aside from Allen he is very valuable on the recruiting trail to due to the contacts and reputation he possesses. It extended past Allen.

Speaking of Allen, 24/7 says he will enter the 2017 draft but will not sign with an agent. #HeGone

#17 MikeV73

MikeV73

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

Interesting that Smart feels mLucas has more upside than the guy he canned and possibly the guy he demoted last season. Of course the demotion was most likely strategic and orchestrated. I hope these bold coaching moves pay off!

#18 MikeV73

MikeV73

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

Also the connection with his dad's program and rep in Houston.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Basketball

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users