Will Baizer

2019 Recruiting Board/Thread

Biggest Winners and Losers of CFB's Transfer Portal Thus Far

Loser: Bru McCoy

2 OF 14

c68ac20015ffcdfe3cdf6ef706a05c3d_crop_ex
Credit: 247Sports

There's nothing wrong with 5-star athlete Bru McCoy, who could be a major college star as a receiver on offense or an outside linebacker or safety on defense.

"There aren't many high school football players that can impact a game the way McCoy can," 247Sports director of scouting Barton Simmons wrote. "That versatility keeps him in the top-10 range as we can envision a lot of different ways he can evolve on the next level."

There's nothing wrong with McCoy going to Texas either. The Longhorns are an up-and-coming program, and coach Tom Herman is recruiting with the best in the country. McCoy is just another centerpiece around which Herman can build a championship program.

No, the only reason why McCoy gets a "loser" grade here is his measly timing.

The Mater Dei High School product announced in early January at the Army All-American Bowl that he'd signed with the USC Trojans. At the time, USC had offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury in place, and former high school teammates JT Daniels and Amon Ra St. Brown made Southern Cal a logical choice.

Then Kingsbury became the Arizona Cardinals head coach.

Unfortunately for McCoy, he was a mid-term enrollee who signed a national letter of intent and already attended classes in Los Angeles for two weeks. So, when he elected to enter the transfer portal and leave for runner-up Texas, he'll have to sit for the 2019 season unless USC sets him free.

On one hand, the Trojans probably should, thanks to all the turmoil surrounding their staff. But players also should pay the price if they don't follow through with the commitment.

If he's eligible in '19, McCoy and Texas become immediate major winners. If he isn't, it'll be a decision he should have made a month earlier.

Loser: Texas' Quarterbacks Room

8 OF 14

hi-res-98afb4d518ccc984b91551b236a5185a_
Eric Gay/Associated Press

There's no question Sam Ehlinger is the superstar quarterback who has the potential to carry Texas to a national championship and win a Heisman Trophy in the process.

Yes, he's that good.

But what about if something happens to him? Tom Herman is recruiting well enough that they'll have some talent behind him now that Casey Thompson isn't going anywhere. Dual-threat quarterback Roschon Johnson has ability too, even if he's raw.

It's going to hurt the immediate depth if Ehlinger goes down because Shane Buechele and Cameron Rising are set to transfer. Both are good enough to lead their own programs, so they won't stick around and get garbage time behind Ehlinger.

Rising already made a decision that his next destination will be the Utah Utes to play for coach Kyle Whittingham. With Tyler Huntley returning and almost certain to start, Rising will battle with Jason Shelley to be the Utes' next man up. Shelley looked good at times after Huntley's season-ending injury in 2018.

Buechele was the every-game starter for the Longhorns in 2016 and split time in '17 before watching much of Ehlinger's rise to glory from the sideline this past season. Wherever he transfers, Buechele will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Both Rising and Buechele likely will gain starting experience by leaving Ehlinger's shadow, but it makes things dicey for the 'Horns if Ehlinger goes down with injury. He's sturdy and durable, but Ehlinger's dual-threat game lends itself to bumps and bruises.

Texas needs to keep him upright.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2818489-biggest-winners-and-losers-of-cfbs-transfer-portal-thus-far#slide14

Advertise on HornSports
4 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

actually....NW Oklahoma is beautiful....It is called green country for a reason. We had a place on Grand Lake at Grove and next to us was a 100 acre pasture with 100 head of cattle. They could not eat the grass as fast as it grew.....always belly high. I couldnt believe it......Even so it was infested with Lice, ticks, and the damndest chiggers known to man. The moral is that no matter how nice it looks....it it still full of blood suckers.

Yep, I spent the first half of my life in Texas and then relocated to "green country". I've had my share of summer loves at Grand Lake, too. It's still a dirty, meth-riddled place, though. 

The best part of Oklahoma for me was finding my girlfriend. Been together 10 years now and loving it! I think there's a Zac Brown song about a Texas boy and an Oklahoma girl...

31 minutes ago, DisplacedTexan said:

Yep, I spent the first half of my life in Texas and then relocated to "green country". I've had my share of summer loves at Grand Lake, too. It's still a dirty, meth-riddled place, though. 

The best part of Oklahoma for me was finding my girlfriend. Been together 10 years now and loving it! I think there's a Zac Brown song about a Texas boy and an Oklahoma girl...

My uncle helped design and fund Grand Lake, way back in the day. He also built the only skyscraper in Bartlesville.

SuperK visited with Lakia Henry today. LH says he's torn between Ark and UT and hasn't made up his mind yet.

SuperK said he got the feeling Texas had the upper hand as far as what LH wants in a program (visit blew him away) but thinks he feels some obligation to Arkie because they've been on him so long.

48 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

SuperK visited with Lakia Henry today. LH says he's torn between Ark and UT and hasn't made up his mind yet.

SuperK said he got the feeling Texas had the upper hand as far as what LH wants in a program (visit blew him away) but thinks he feels some obligation to Arkie because they've been on him so long.

He only has to please himself.  If he tries to please others he’ll spend a lifetime doing it.  Chose the team that makes you happy.  If that’s Texas we’ll be happy.  If it’s Arkansas we wish you the best. 

Herman needs to offer this guy, This is good advice. I always thought you could negotiate.

In the event of a lion attack you need to do anything in your power to fight back just as this gentleman did," said Mark Leslie, Colorado Parks and Wildlife's northeast region manager.

When a mountain lion attacked him, a Colorado runner choked it to death

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/05/us/colorado-runner-chokes-mountain-lion/index.html

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

My uncle helped design and fund Grand Lake, way back in the day. He also built the only skyscraper in Bartlesville.

No kidding? Were his initials FLW? I believe my grandfather may have worked on that one in some capacity. He worked on many different projects way back when.

Feels weird heading into NSD2 without too many storylines for Texas. If I had to pick right now, I’d say Texas splits the difference on Shepherd and Henry, with the favorable outcome coming with JS. I was feeling good about Henry until he decided to make that last minute detour to Arkansas on his own dime. 

58 minutes ago, DisplacedTexan said:

No kidding? Were his initials FLW? I believe my grandfather may have worked on that one in some capacity. He worked on many different projects way back when.

No, his name was H.E. "Ted" Lyon. He spent his whole life with Phillips Petroleum, ended his career as VP of operations. He had a house on Grand Lake, another outside of Vinita, and that office building in Bartlesville.

I brag on him. He was a great man. Left all his riches to the boys clubs of Oklahoma. Was married 63 years and died 3 hours after his wife passed.

42 minutes ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

If I had to pick right now I’d pick Texas, but as we’ve seen with this recruitment, anything could happen. 

Everyone I've heard or read will not put a 100% on this even after the F aggy tweet.

10 hours ago, NWAHorn said:

You got no clue about NWA. One of the fastest growing regions in the country. It's not ATX, but it's a cool place with plenty to see and do. I've lived in both places. The facilities at UA are incredible. From what I am told, Henry connected with the coaching staff from the beginning and that relationship is what made the difference.

Don't tell me what I have a clue about. Walmart was one of my primary customers for years. When I first started to go there, the best hotel was the Hilton Garden Inn and if it was sold out you were stuck at the Best Western or worse. Now they have an Embassy Suites and Aloft, but still no major Marriott/Westin/Hilton. I've been there probably 50 times over the last 15 years. It nice country, good fishing, good place to raise a family. But this is for an 18-22 year old kid. Different decisioning goes into that my friend. And if I were an 18 year old kid NWA does not in any way shape or form compare to ATX. And just to reiterate, I HATE when people say shit like "you have no clue" when the person making that statement clearly HAS NO CLUE about the original person. As fishing is one of my top priorities, I'd personally take NWA over ATX today. But when I was 18, no way in hell would I turn down Texas. Then there is this little thing of one program that actually has a pulse and the other that is one of the worst P5 schools around. Why would any kid go there just to go 4-7 and miss their bowl game. Makes no sense. 

Good informative read. Why is this not a surprise?

Over the last eight years, Alabama is the only perennial national title contender to land in the top 20 of offers, sitting 18th with an average of 220 per year. Saban’s offer strategy has evolved over the years, as the Crimson Tide have gone from extending 203 offers in 2015 to 287 this year. Saban has company. The SEC leads all conferences in offers per cycle (229 per year per team), significantly outpacing the conference whose teams average the fewest offers, the Big 12 (158). In fact, of the bottom eight Power 5 schools in offers, five are from the Big 12: Texas, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, TCU and Baylor.

Recruiting’s Biggest Bait-and-Switch: The Uncommittable Scholarship Offer

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/02/05/uncommittable-offers-recruiting-national-signing-day

14 minutes ago, DisplacedTexan said:

@Sirhornsalot 

He sounds like a pretty awesome guy to me. That's heartbreaking to hear about his death. What an amazing life they must have led together.

He was and thank you. Yes, they were very close. Were never able to have children.

3 hours ago, wadster said:

Don't tell me what I have a clue about. Walmart was one of my primary customers for years. When I first started to go there, the best hotel was the Hilton Garden Inn and if it was sold out you were stuck at the Best Western or worse. Now they have an Embassy Suites and Aloft, but still no major Marriott/Westin/Hilton. I've been there probably 50 times over the last 15 years. It nice country, good fishing, good place to raise a family. But this is for an 18-22 year old kid. Different decisioning goes into that my friend. And if I were an 18 year old kid NWA does not in any way shape or form compare to ATX. And just to reiterate, I HATE when people say shit like "you have no clue" when the person making that statement clearly HAS NO CLUE about the original person. As fishing is one of my top priorities, I'd personally take NWA over ATX today. But when I was 18, no way in hell would I turn down Texas. Then there is this little thing of one program that actually has a pulse and the other that is one of the worst P5 schools around. Why would any kid go there just to go 4-7 and miss their bowl game. Makes no sense. 

Ever been to Fayetteville on Dickson? Ever been to Eureka? Why was Baker Mayfield here partying and not in his hometown in ATX when he was arrested? You're old, dude, like me. You do NOT know what the vibe is here for college kids. Fayetteville is one of the best college towns in the country. Come visit sometime when school is going on and count the Texas license plates. I lived in ATX and Texas in my younger years and I moved here 20 years ago, where my kids have been raised and are very connected to the live music/party scene. I imagine you got off the plane at XNA, went to a hotel in Bentonville or Rogers and never made it down to Fayetteville. BTW, we now have a Hilton, a Hampton and 21c. And one other thing ... I might have just the slightest little more knowledge about what recruits are looking for than the average person. I don't just know "a guy" I know "the guy" when it comes to recruiting. 

7 hours ago, primal defense said:

Good informative read. Why is this not a surprise?

Over the last eight years, Alabama is the only perennial national title contender to land in the top 20 of offers, sitting 18th with an average of 220 per year. Saban’s offer strategy has evolved over the years, as the Crimson Tide have gone from extending 203 offers in 2015 to 287 this year. Saban has company. The SEC leads all conferences in offers per cycle (229 per year per team), significantly outpacing the conference whose teams average the fewest offers, the Big 12 (158). In fact, of the bottom eight Power 5 schools in offers, five are from the Big 12: Texas, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, TCU and Baylor.

Recruiting’s Biggest Bait-and-Switch: The Uncommittable Scholarship Offer

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/02/05/uncommittable-offers-recruiting-national-signing-day

So much for the "Your word is your bond" ideology that we older guys were taught.  Sad. Can't blame the kids, the lack of commitment goes both ways. 

This has really gotten out of control, but who will stop it? The NCAA?           I don't think so. 

Thanks,  PD.

51 minutes ago, UTfish said:

So much for the "Your word is your bond" ideology that we older guys were taught.  Sad. Can't blame the kids, the lack of commitment goes both ways. 

This has really gotten out of control, but who will stop it? The NCAA?           I don't think so. 

Thanks,  PD.

It seems to me that an “uncommitable offer” is an “oxymoron”.   If I were a recruit I would treat it as a “nonoffer” until I received a “commitable offer.”   

All the discussion about “is this a commitable offer” gives me “tired head.”