Will Baizer

2019 Recruiting Board/Thread

Advertise on HornSports
1 hour ago, drgilbert said:

I heard that Lakota Henry doesn’t have the right math course to be admitted into a SEC school. Has anyone else heard that?

I doubt it. What I've heard is LH became disenchanted with his choice. 

8 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Given he’s never put tape on as a TE I would have a hard time projecting him there.

Thanks Daniel. You guys are closer to the situation, just thinking out loud.

57 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

Just read Barlow got an offer from Florida St.

I just don't understand why Texas won't offer this kid. He has great vision, can weave his way through traffic and has the type of speed Herman was lamenting that Texas didn't have after the OU games.

7 hours ago, Baron said:

I just don't understand why Texas won't offer this kid. He has great vision, can weave his way through traffic and has the type of speed Herman was lamenting that Texas didn't have after the OU games.

Good back,  no doubt.   Apparently, the staff sees something we don't.   Maybe it's an alignment issue. 

8 hours ago, Baron said:

And he will help us with James Sylvester next cycle. 

IMG_8948.jpg

Mansfield Legacy quarterback and safety Jalen Catalon in Week 1 against Jenks (Okla.). (Mike Craven)

Share this story:

FOOTBALL

The Dotted Line: Texas’ remaining wishlist for the 2019 recruiting class

Posted January 11th, 2019

ttp-mike-craven.jpg

Mike Craven Hookem.com staff

mcraven@hookem.com

Advertisement

The bulk of Texas’ 2019 recruiting class signed during the early period when 22 prospects inked national letters of intent. The Longhorns only possess a handful of scholarships available and the remaining weeks until national signing day can be spent focusing on the remaining targets and continuing to build strong relationships with the 2020 class. Texas’ 2019 class ranks ninth in the nation and nine of those 22 signees are enrolling early.

Needs still remain for the Longhorns. Here are some names and positions of need remaining for Tom Herman and his class.

Javonne Shepherd particpates at The Opening in Frisco. (Mike Craven/ American-Statesman)

1. Hold on to Javonne Shepherd 

The four-star offensive lineman from Houston North Forest was the only Texas commit to hold off on signing. That means teams from the SEC, specifically Texas A&M, still hold a shot at flipping the member of the Fabulous 55. The Longhorns took a step to ease that loss by signing Isaiah Hookfin right before the end of the early period. Still, Texas wants Shepherd on campus and it’d be a real loss if he ends up signing with A&M.

Shepherd is a raw prospect who won’t impact the 2019 season, but he’s the type of athlete who can develop into an all-conference type performer. Not many teenagers at 6-7 and more than 300 pounds move like Shepherd. Fending off the competition remains priority No. 1 for Texas and it won’t be an easy task.

2. Jalen Catalon

Catalon is expected to announce his decision before the end of the month. He’s the highest-rated member of the Fab 55 yet to sign a national letter of intent. Catalon is a two-sport star who also wants to play baseball in college, though football is his first priority. He’ll play safety or nickel at the next level. He was an all-state safety early in his career at Mansfield Legacy before splitting time at quarterback late in his career. Catalon suffered a season-ending injury in the first game of his senior season. Texas is right there with teams like TCU and Arkansas.

3. Lakia Henry

Texas struck gold in 2017 when it found Gary Johnson at Dodge City C.C. The Longhorns hope to find his possible replacement from the same school now that Henry is an available prospect after de-committing from Tennessee. Getting him on campus before signing day in February is the key for Texas as it battles programs like Ole Miss, Florida State and Arkansas. Henry is a 6-foot, 225-pound prospect who ranks as the No. 1 middle linebacker from the JUCO ranks.

4. An older offensive lineman 

Texas needs another mature body capable of competing for a starting spot in 2019 regardless of whether Shepherd remains committed or flips to another school. Texas did a great job in identifying and landing Calvin Anderson in the grad transfer market last summer and it wouldn’t surprise if Texas tries a similar tactic this year. The dead period ends this weekend and I’d expect the Longhorns to be on the recruiting trail in search for an under-the-radar JUCO or grad transfer talent to add to the growing depth along the offensive line.

5. Will Texas recruit a second running back?

The 2020 cycle is loaded with talented running backs with interest in Texas, which could allow the Longhorns to save that scholarship for the next cycle if they feel comfortable with their running back depth. Texas doesn’t want to take a running back just to get a body at the position and doesn’t want to settle after barely missing out on Trey Sanders and Noah Cain. Katy’s Deondrick Glass is the best in-state option still available and he’d likely listen to a pitch from Texas if presented one this month.

https://www.hookem.com/story/dotted-line-texas-remaining-wishlist-2019-recruiting-class/

1 hour ago, primal defense said:

3. Lakia Henry

Texas struck gold in 2017 when it found Gary Johnson at Dodge City C.C. The Longhorns hope to find his possible replacement from the same school now that Henry is an available prospect after de-committing from Tennessee. Getting him on campus before signing day in February is the key for Texas as it battles programs like Ole Miss, Florida State and Arkansas. Henry is a 6-foot, 225-pound prospect who ranks as the No. 1 middle linebacker from the JUCO ranks.

isn't caleb johnson the replacement for gary johnson?  i'm not against getting more experience depth.  fill the cupboard.

1 hour ago, Rotty22 said:

isn't caleb johnson the replacement for gary johnson?  i'm not against getting more experience depth.  fill the cupboard.

Johnson sat out a year with an injury. So he's technically only played 1 year at the JUCO level.

3 hours ago, Rotty22 said:

Caleb would currently play Rover LB not Mike. 

MLB will be btw RsFr Dele and Tr Fr Floyd. Getting a jr Henry will be huge, and he is damn damn good. He will be ready to go week 2 vs Lsu 

19 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I'd pull his commitment now and tell him let us know when you know what you want. If you still want to play here we'll see if we have room. If you're going to take OVs and put on other jerseys, then de-commit until you know what you want to do. I have no issues with kids wanting to make sure they are making the right decision. Just don't stay committed why you are doing it. When I was engaged my wife got cold feet and told me she wasn't sure. I pulled the ring off her finger and told her to let me know when she was. She put it back on that day and we've been married 32 years. But she was damn sure not wearing my ring if she wasn't committed to me. Same applies here. And if at this point we feel he's a flake, then pull the ship and be done with it.