Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Will Baizer

2019 Recruiting Board/Thread

5 hours ago, CharcoalPuppy said:

So apparently a couple of the blue chip in-state guys have taken Texas out of consideration ?  What's the deal with that ?

I heard either EJ or Roach on a podcast say that some of the DBs told them our 18 of DBs is causing them to look elsewhere. I guess some kids don’t believe iron sharpens iron. They were only talking DBs though, so if you’re hearing other positions then I don’t know why. 

2 hours ago, drgilbert said:

I heard either EJ or Roach on a podcast say that some of the DBs told them our 18 of DBs is causing them to look elsewhere. I guess some kids don’t believe iron sharpens iron. They were only talking DBs though, so if you’re hearing other positions then I don’t know why. 

We had one heck of a DB haul this year so it's somewhat understandable.  But at the same time, this is an example of the "issue" with this generation: entitlement.  The kids believe that for whatever reason that "life" should be handed to them. Somewhere along the line us "old" folks missed conveying to this generation that you must work, and work hard, for everything.  Your position, not only on the football field but also in life has to earned.  No worries tho.  Our defensive backfield will be just fine as we're "set" for the next 3 years.  And over the next few years we'll undoubtedly find a few more studs and continue to reload.  I am sooooooo not worried about the 2019 class.  HOOK 'EM!!!

9 hours ago, Makaboy23 said:

87D40D4F-127E-4D42-927C-8514EECD6124.jpeg

What's hilarious to me is that Brewster thinks these kids are idiots; as if they wouldn't know this. I mean, I remember as a teenager following college football who went where and played for what coach.  It just seems idiotic to me for a coach to insult a 17 year old's intelligence like this.  I don't know much about Jim Bob but I do know he's considered an offensive guy and not some DB guru who puts guys in the pros.  This guy is a mess lol

34 minutes ago, DBut82 said:

We had one heck of a DB haul this year so it's somewhat understandable.  But at the same time, this is an example of the "issue" with this generation: entitlement.  The kids believe that for whatever reason that "life" should be handed to them. Somewhere along the line us "old" folks missed conveying to this generation that you must work, and work hard, for everything.  Your position, not only on the football field but also in life has to earned.  No worries tho.  Our defensive backfield will be just fine as we're "set" for the next 3 years.  And over the next few years we'll undoubtedly find a few more studs and continue to reload.  I am sooooooo not worried about the 2019 class.  HOOK 'EM!!!

yes our 2018 db class was great.  i feel it more about playing time.  if a school doesn't have the numbers for a certain position, there's certainly a better chance for playing time.

Kids being told by rival schools they're not good enough to crack the 2 deep at Texas should take that as an insult and then ask how shitty is the current status of those schools secondaries to warrant such a statement.  Unfortunately a few kids don't see it that way.

Ok, had a long conversation with my friend down in Austin. So there's much to share today.

1. The biggie, IMO. Said he feels like there may be some sort of effort going on that is anti-UT in the Dallas area, specifically in the 7-7 ranks. He said apparently some folks felt dissed by our assumed snub of DFW prospects last year (2018 cycle) while we killed it in Houston.

He said a lot more than that, but I'll stop there because the rest gets into details I'm not comfortable sharing. But he says there's a case of butt hurt going on that has spread through some circles in the DFW area.

2. When recruiting began for this class months and months ago, there was a list of WRs and other skill players the coaches wanted to recruit. As it worked out, the kids the staff has and continues to work on are the ones they evaluated as their top targets. So the initial surge by aggy wasn't really relevant to our cause unless we miss on our targets. They think the WR from Austin is the best in the state.

3. Forget about the OL Green. He will not be coming to Texas. He says the kid is literally surrounded by aggy and contact is being regulated to a degree already. He said it would take an act of God to get him in the Texas class. Nevertheless, we are trying.

4. He said mood around the facilities is very upbeat but relaxed. No one seems alarmed about aggy. Everyone is focused on the mission.

5. He would not comment one way or the other when I asked about the possibility of aggy BMDs getting involved in recruitments. Lets face it, there are several that have gone down and gone down in a manner that makes you say "hmmmm." A group of 5-4 stars who don't want to take any visits at all?

The telling thing for me was, if it were something to be dismissed, he would have come out and said so. He didn't.

7 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Ok, had a long conversation with my friend down in Austin. So there's much to share today.

1. The biggie, IMO. Said he feels like there may be some sort of effort going on that is anti-UT in the Dallas area, specifically in the 7-7 ranks. He said apparently some folks felt dissed by our assumed snub of DFW prospects last year (2018 cycle) while we killed it in Houston.

He said a lot more than that, but I'll stop there because the rest gets into details I'm not comfortable sharing. But he says there's a case of butt hurt going on that has spread through some circles in the DFW area.

2. When recruiting began for this class months and months ago, there was a list of WRs and other skill players the coaches wanted to recruit. As it worked out, the kids the staff has and continues to work on are the ones they evaluated as their top targets. So the initial surge by aggy wasn't really relevant to our cause unless we miss on our targets. They think the WR from Austin is the best in the state.

3. Forget about the OL Green. He will not be coming to Texas. He says the kid is literally surrounded by aggy and contact is being regulated to a degree already. He said it would take an act of God to get him in the Texas class. Nevertheless, we are trying.

4. He said mood around the facilities is very upbeat but relaxed. No one seems alarmed about aggy. Everyone is focused on the mission.

5. He would not comment one way or the other when I asked about the possibility of aggy BMDs getting involved in recruitments. Lets face it, there are several that have gone down and gone down in a manner that makes you say "hmmmm." A group of 5-4 stars who don't want to take any visits at all?

The telling thing for me was, if it were something to be dismissed, he would have come out and said so. He didn't.

In regards to #1, if there is indeed some butt hurt then it’s laughable considering Houston dominated the top tier talent wise last cycle. 

You go where the talent is and that was H-Town for the 2018 kids. 

Positions I'm not worried about with recruiting.

QB:  Already wrapped up and got the guy we waned.

RB:  Drayton will reel in a stud.

WR:  Lots of options and in a good spot with a number of guys.

DB:  Not worried at all, Washington and Naivar have shown what they can do.

LB:  Orlando has already gotten 2 OOS studs both cycles and I think he'll do it again.

OL:  To a degree I'll say OL because we are in a good spot with several top targets and I think Hand will get the job done.

As for the rest:

TE:  Who knows??

DL:  Outside of Leal IDK who we even feel good about atm.  It's to bad Giles doesn't seem to connect with recruits because he's a damn good coach and has the resume to prove it, not to mention the DL looked as good last year as it has in a long time.  If we are indeed taking 5 DL Giles may need some help once again.

5 minutes ago, Slimer said:

Positions I'm not worried about with recruiting.

QB:  Already wrapped up and got the guy we waned.

RB:  Drayton will reel in a stud.

WR:  Lots of options and in a good spot with a number of guys.

DB:  Not worried at all, Washington and Naivar have shown what they can do.

LB:  Orlando has already gotten 2 OOS studs both cycles and I think he'll do it again.

OL:  To a degree I'll say OL because we are in a good spot with several top targets and I think Hand will get the job done.

As for the rest:

TE:  Who knows??

DL:  Outside of Leal IDK who we even feel good about atm.  It's to bad Giles doesn't seem to connect with recruits because he's a damn good coach and has the resume to prove it, not to mention the DL looked as good last year as it has in a long time.  If we are indeed taking 5 DL Giles may need some help once again.

One thing we're not talking about and probably should be – the number of out of state offers going out. Its been a true barrage. They've gone to kids in Massachusetts, Ohio, California, Florida, Louisiana and Arizona.

Is this the counter to the DFW butt hurt syndrome, in some respect?

22 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

One thing we're not talking about and probably should be – the number of out of state offers going out. Its been a true barrage. They've gone to kids in Massachusetts, Ohio, California, Florida, Louisiana and Arizona.

Nope. They are just putting offers on the table they deem as elite and some of them are also reflective of how they feel about the in-state talent at some positions. 

By the way the Massachusetts offer (Lewis Cine) is moving to Texas for his senior year.

27 minutes ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Yeah that recruitment ain’t over. Texas and TCU are going to give A&M their best shot.

Will Texas being the team he rooted for growing up win out in the end?  Seems like he was pressured into committing to aggy.   Also, the guys at IT say his commitment is Patrick Hudson-soft when he was an aggy commit.

53 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Texas currently has 89 offers out and 55 of them are OOS. More than 61%.