News Ticker
  • Texas will face Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship on Saturday, December 1st @ 11:00 AM in Arlington, TX. Game will be televised on ABC
  • Texas Basketball (5-1) loses to Michigan State in title game of Las Vegas Invitational 78-68
Will Baizer

2019 Recruiting Board/Thread

8 hours ago, TheContractor said:

Very very important recruit. If he learns the Defense, he is day 1 starter at Rover LB. 

Am I correct that in our system the Rover drops into coverage more and the BLB is more of a pass rusher?  Almost like a DE who doesn’t have a hand on the ground??

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Am I correct that in our system the Rover drops into coverage more and the BLB is more of a pass rusher?  Almost like a DE who doesn’t have a hand on the ground??

Yes you are correct. But with Todd Orlando’s scheme with a lot of different blitzes, both positions need to cover some and pass rush some. 

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Yes , in the ideal fit Rover will cover more than BBacker but both will need to cover in Big 12. 

Yeah B Backer is a 3-4 OLB /DE standing up. He does cover some but if I had to choose he would be running the arc more than cover. BBacker also needs to be able to set the edge on run plays. 

Rover is a hybrid ILB and cover guy/blitzer.

think of the Steelers Defense, usually the best 3-4 D in nfl, or my fav at least. Watt is the BBacker and Ryan Shazier when healthy was the best Rover LB in NFL

10 minutes ago, TB14 said:

Yes you are correct. But with Todd Orlando’s scheme with a lot of different blitzes, both positions need to cover some and pass rush some. 

not to be a smart ass.....but I was unaware that we had anyone that pass rushed some....

52 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

not to be a smart ass.....but I was unaware that we had anyone that pass rushed some....

Haha, yes we only have 1 player on the roster that can really play B Backer, J Ossai. Chassion, the ideal BBacker but he choose poorly in Herman’s first class. Hoping Mpagi turns into that in 2019 class but that’s not a guarantee. 

Thats been a problem in recruiting so far. 

31 minutes ago, Slimer said:

Wiltfong thinks Baylor is in the thick of it to flip Powell.  

personally, if he isnt interested to play Defense, i am not sure when the staff pushed for him in O. clearly they see something, to give him a shot at "QB." there are much better WR prospects in 2020, much better. he is a good prospect if he can play big Nickel. 

20 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

personally, if he isnt interested to play Defense, i am not sure when the staff pushed for him in O. clearly they see something, to give him a shot at "QB." there are much better WR prospects in 2020, much better. he is a good prospect if he can play big Nickel. 

Yeah I like his upside at DB somewhere.  Great blend of size and speed + athleticism to be a playmaker.

4 hours ago, Slimer said:

Sounds like Powell wants to play QB.  If that's the case then good luck at Baylor or Tech.  Don't think he's any better than Shawn Robinson but oh well.  Could probably be a stud DB.

If he’s bent on playing QB then let him go to Waco or Lubbock. He’s not a QB.