News Ticker
  • Texas vs Iowa State kickoff will take place on Saturday, November 17th @ 7:00 PM at DKR-TMS in Austin
  • Texas Football schedules Georgia for home and home series in 2028 and 2029
  • Texas Football ranked 13th in AP Poll and 14th in Coaches Poll
Will Baizer

2019 Recruiting Board/Thread

2 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Recent scuttle on Higgins has him trending OOS. Watch out for Stanford and Ohio State where his buddy Garrett Wilson just landed. 

Him landing at tOSU would be very bad news.  We need to stop this "pipeline" to Columbus ASAP.

Okay, here's a question that ought to generate some discussion. Or get me ridiculed :lol:

Can anyone name a WR who really made a difference on any national championship teams and/or playoff teams? Hell, go take a look at the leading receivers in college football last year and you'll be hard pressed to find one that played on one of the 4 playoff teams. 

Don't get me wrong. I would have loved to have had Wilson. But WR's don't win championships. All you need at that position is above average and not necessarily studs like you need on the line. 

12 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Ohio St will be starting a RS Frosh at QB this year. While loaded with talent on various spots on their roster, most of the experienced talent left for the pros.

Ohio St will play TCU, Penn St., Nebraska, Michigan St and Michigan this season. Thats five potential losses.

I don't think we've seen the last of Wilson, but if Jake Smith comes aboard at some point, the sense of urgency goes way down.

How does Jake smith realistically compare to Wilson? Haven’t watched his tape but have always heard G Wilson is as good as it gets. 

50 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

How does Jake smith realistically compare to Wilson? Haven’t watched his tape but have always heard G Wilson is as good as it gets. 

Jake Smith is a pure stud slot WR. He is good size at 6-0/6-1 and play speed is great. Tremendous hands, seems like a good route runner. I can see the Jordan Shipley comparisons other than just his look. He is a different slot than J Waddle but bith can be very effective. Smith will be a QBs best friend. Wilson is darn good also but a different WR, he can play slot but is better on the outside. His ability to high point the ball is great. Also around 6-0. You want both players no question. It's a loss that we have to live with but his quote isn't wrong, in the last 8 years we have disappointed as a football program, Ohio st has not. Let's change that Tom so it doesn't happen again. 

1 hour ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Okay, here's a question that ought to generate some discussion. Or get me ridiculed :lol:

Can anyone name a WR who really made a difference on any national championship teams and/or playoff teams? Hell, go take a look at the leading receivers in college football last year and you'll be hard pressed to find one that played on one of the 4 playoff teams. 

Don't get me wrong. I would have loved to have had Wilson. But WR's don't win championships. All you need at that position is above average and not necessarily studs like you need on the line. 

Love your question and it makes sense. I did think Hunter Renfero was a big part of Clemson making back to back title games. A walk-on at Clemson I beleive, not highly recruited regardless. 

#buildthewallinAustin 

1 minute ago, Slimer said:

I'm hoping for Bragg, Johnson of 1 of Wilkins or Shepherd for this OL class.  

Me too. But at this point, I'm not sure Wilkins will even OV here. OU may be too far along in this recruitment.

Bragg, Johnson, yes. Shepherd is still up for grabs pretty much though he really likes us.

5 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Me too. But at this point, I'm not sure Wilkins will even OV here. OU may be too far along in this recruitment.

Bragg, Johnson, yes. Shepherd is still up for grabs pretty much though he really likes us.

What about Green?

28 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Supposedly Wilkins is no longer taking his OV this weekend.

Shepherd and Green holding off until after the season really benefits us IMO.  

I'm starting to feel better about Bragg.  Sounds like he really likes Hand and he's got several Longhorn fans in the family on our side.  Center play hasn't been anything to get excited about since Lyle Sendlein was snapping the ball.  I had hope for Shack, maybe the light comes on this year.

1 hour ago, Bob Barker 007 said:

What about Green?

Reports of Green's demise (aggy) are greatly exaggerated. They may have made up some ground, not sure, during his visit there. But he walked into aggyland in a burnt orange frame of mind.

Aggy does compare well on facilities, but the campus is just ugly.

48 minutes ago, Slimer said:

Supposedly Wilkins is no longer taking his OV this weekend.

Shepherd and Green holding off until after the season really benefits us IMO.  

I'm starting to feel better about Bragg.  Sounds like he really likes Hand and he's got several Longhorn fans in the family on our side.  Center play hasn't been anything to get excited about since Lyle Sendlein was snapping the ball.  I had hope for Shack, maybe the light comes on this year.

I think you'll see minimum improvement from Shack. He's good, but his ceiling was never very high. 

I think Kerstetter is going to end up making a very fine center.