Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Will Baizer

2018 Recruiting Board/Thread

What is going on up in here? No 2018 commits yet? :D:D:D:D:D:D

LOL pretty soon we will start seeing #fireherman tweets

Great quote from Herman on a FOX article,

“These 17-year-old kids that are signing with the class of 2017, since they were 11 years old, they’ve seen two winning seasons at the University of Texas and four seven-loss seasons,†he said. “So that’s gonna take some time to get these young men accustomed to the Texas that we know.â€

“The Texas that these young men know is not the same Texas that we know — and that’s OK — we’re still Texas,†he said. “It’s going to happen and it’s going to happen very quickly, but it’s still an uphill battle for the hearts and minds of some of the young people here in the state of Texas.â€

In addition:

Herman notes, though, that Brown had much the same problem with his first class at Texas in 1998 before surging to the No. 1 class in the country the following year with stars Chris Simms and Cory Redding.

“The first class is definitely never indicative of the ability of this place to recruit itself, as well as our staff’s ability to recruit,†said Herman. “I think you’ll see in very short order in years to come, that we’re gonna get it as close to the way Coach Brown had in terms of recruiting as soon as possible.â€

All this pretty much sums up what the Horns Sports staff has been saying all along. WIN and recruiting will take care of itself. For the 2018 class, some of these guys were 4 and 5 year olds the last time Texas was in the championship game. Let's give the man some time. I honestly think we have the right guy at the helm.

I don't know much about the 2018 class yet, but I do know that there are a lot of good players in the Houston area this year. Should we expect a lot of them to be heading out of state, or do you think they will be willing to hear out Herman, Sumlin, Morris, etc.? If Texas can keep them within range and have a good start to the season, I see no reason why we can't get a couple of 5 stars this cycle. 

So the top kids in Texas don't want to stay in Texas, but we can't offer OOS.

Give me a break, the HS coaches need a reality check

Wonder if this can be turned around as a selling point by the staff. Stop encouraging your kids to go out of state and make other states' football atmospheres better, while it keeps getting worse at home, and maybe I don't have to waste my time in Florida, Ohio, California...Australia. 

Then again, these HS coaches really owe it to the kids they're coaching, not to this state's struggling flagship university. Can't really fault them there, I guess. 

Wonder if this can be turned around as a selling point by the staff. Stop encouraging your kids to go out of state and make other states' football atmospheres better, while it keeps getting worse at home, and maybe I don't have to waste my time in Florida, Ohio, California...Australia.

Then again, these HS coaches really owe it to the kids they're coaching, not to this state's struggling flagship university. Can't really fagult them there, I guess.

If herman wants me to be his Austrlian recruiting advisor I'll be happy too lol. I have had kids i have coached or play with/against go to Alabama, Hawaii, Georgia Tech and Baylor all as legit players not Punters or Kickers.

Do you know if the offer process will be different under Herman than Strong? IIRC, Strong liked to have everyone sign off on whether a guy was a take right? 

Edit: I'll contribute some info too. 

Wiltfong of 247 said Herman will prioritize Anthony Cook and BJ Foster. Also that we're in good positions for both like Seahorn's CB picks suggest. 

Looks like Max Wright is the Houston defensive recruit that Hamm was talking about fixing to commit to aggy with the recent CB picks.

Hard to believe all these kids committing to aggy knowing Sumlin is likely gone after this year.

Also, I thought Wright really liked Herman and he was one of the first guys to confirm attending our Jr. day.

Do you know if the offer process will be different under Herman than Strong? IIRC, Strong liked to have everyone sign off on whether a guy was a take right?

Wiltfong of 247 said Herman will prioritize Anthony Cook and BJ Foster. Also that we're in good positions for both like Seahorn's CB picks suggest.

Welcome aboard Skyline. I believe Herman will recruit like nonstop. I do know he has stress the importance of facility upgrades that are badly needed.

Strong turned the camps into a non-event, really. After years of Mack using those to gather commitments. It will be interesting to see if Herman is more like Mack in that regard or more like Strong.

Welcome, Skyline! Texas is in a great position for BJ Foster and Anthony Cook - especially Foster. I'm not too sure on the different styles other than the fact that Herman will not wait to offer a player and will not tell them to "look around" before committing. I do know that Derek Chang plays a huge role in evaluations. I imagine Herman talks to the respective position coaches about a player before deciding whether to offer. I think it's a team effort here. 

Looks like Max Wright is the Houston defensive recruit that Hamm was talking about fixing to commit to aggy with the recent CB picks.

Hard to believe all these kids committing to aggy knowing Sumlin is likely gone after this year.

Also, I thought Wright really liked Herman and he was one of the first guys to confirm attending our Jr. day.

I've always felt like he was an A&M kid. If that's the case it's a heck of a pickup for them. Wright is a stud.

My understanding is that Herman won't slow play recruits like strong at all, and at the same time he won't push for as many early commits as Mack. He will definitely push for commits but in a certain situation with the right players. I'm thinking instead of filling out 60-70% of the class at the Finish Herman will be pushing for about 35-40% of the class at the end. Once one jumps on board the momentum will be there for more to come.

I read an article about Urban Meyer's recruiting from SBNation. He likes to have around half of the class on board in some capacity before the season starts. Meyer's opinion is that keeping a commit is much easier than pushing late. Herman might be closer to an Urban clone than anything else. Let's hope he has the same type of on field success. 

Cheers everyone. 

How good can next years class be? Slimer mentioned this right off the bat on this thread. There are only 12 scholarship players set to graduate next cycle. Without early entries and attrition the '18 class may be smaller than this years.

I've always felt like he was an A&M kid. If that's the case it's a heck of a pickup for them. Wright is a stud.

Hamm changed his tune, now saying Wright probably won't commit until spring or summer, wants to see other schools. Lol Hamm always hypes up his minions.

I'm seeing some chatter that Alston Orji, Jarrell Cherry, Jordan Moore, and Bobby Brown actually don't have committable offers from us. Seems like Cherry and Brown would be priorities IMO. Someone said Brown is close with Shane and Cherry looks like a 3-4 OLB we need.

How good can next years class be? Slimer mentioned this right off the bat on this thread. There are only 12 scholarship players set to graduate next cycle. Without early entries and attrition the '18 class may be smaller than this years.

It can be very good if we have an upward trajectory to sell. I fully expect some Juniors to jump to the NFL like Connor, Malik, and maybe Boyd plus a surprise or two. Natural attrition means another 5 or so players will leave. So that gives us around a class of 20 to work with again. 

It can be very good if we have an upward trajectory to sell. I fully expect some Juniors to jump to the NFL like Connor, Malik, and maybe Boyd plus a surprise or two. Natural attrition means another 5 or so players will leave. So that gives us around a class of 20 to work with again.

Connor has a case to make the jump with another good year of film. Malik would have to have a special year to declare early after last year. Don't see Boyd making jump yet either.