Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Will Baizer

2018 Recruiting Board/Thread

1 hour ago, DBOOK23 said:

honestly I think our staff already has some really good recruiters, we do have the #2 class right now coming off of 4 straight 6 loss seasons 

Good point.  Recruiting doesn’t seem to be our biggest need. 

1 hour ago, drgilbert said:

Apparently Eric Nahlin at IT just said we may get someone from left field after NSD 1. 

If it happens he looks like a boss; if not everyone forgets about it.  I’m starting to wonder if this is pretty much all there is to these type of vague revelations?

4 hours ago, drgilbert said:

Apparently Eric Nahlin at IT just said we may get someone from left field after NSD 1. 

As in a recruit?  A coach.  Im so confused by these conversations :)

I can do that.  Texas will sign a high ranked player not currently committed to them.  Might be this year, may be next year, but they will get one.

5 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

Yes I agree with some of your changes to the post. I just think Herman is a good coach and I think his assistants are really good. Recruiting is the key to me. If you can recruit at a top level the wins will come and that’s where I think we are at. Having said that we need to winning the ones we should and some of the ones maybe we shouldn’t. Other than Maryland and Texas Tech I think the season was about what I thought it was going to be. These people saying 10-11 wins going into this season were just drinking to much of the koolaid or something stronger. We beat Tech and win the bowl we would have been at 8 which would have been great, but you know about those if’s. I am still optimistic for 8 or 9 next year, 9 or 10 the following year, and then maybe be in the hunt for a playoff spot. We just need to let the Charlie Strong discussion in the rear view mirror. Herman and CDC are going to turn this thing around. 

CS started the 10 win season commentary when he knew he was on his way out, IMO.  As I have said before, I do not know if he was saying it in order to buy himself one more year or set up the next coach for failure. 

1 hour ago, PTA said:

CS started the 10 win season commentary when he knew he was on his way out, IMO.  As I have said before, I do not know if he was saying it in order to buy himself one more year or set up the next coach for failure. 

I don’t think he said it to mean either of those things.

1 hour ago, PTA said:

I thought that too. He was either trying to get another year or if he didn’t get it he knew the next guy would look bad. Charlie wouldn’t have won 6 and been in a bowl game if he would have stayed and would have been routed in a couple of games. We are on the right track. Is it as fast as we would like? No. But we are still on the right track. Recruiting 

1 hour ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

This is a Recruiting thread and not a Charlie Strong grievance thread so here’s a Recruiting update. 

Texas offers Owasso DE Courtre Alexander today during his OV. Thought grades were going to pump the brakes, but I guess things checked out.

I read something that he took the ACT recently and was waiting for the score to come back. Guess it was good. I like the kid, he's very underrated. 

Also got a good ratings bump, someone must have finally watched his film. Lol

https://247sports.com/Player/Courtre-Alexander-46039342

5 minutes ago, HORNfromETX said:

JUCO OL Noah Banks is getting a lot of CB picks to Florida (where he is from). But it doesn't say he has been offered yet. Maybe they offered this weekend while he was on campus. 

He was on campus in Florida or Austin this weekend?  Sounds like Florida, or are you talking about Texas not offerring yet?

17 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

He was on campus in Florida or Austin this weekend?  Sounds like Florida, or are you talking about Texas not offerring yet?

He visited Texas on Thursday and Friday. Then went to Florida yesterday and today. But he still hasn't gotten an offer from Florida. Texas already offered him last week.

Just now, HORNfromETX said:

He visited Texas on Thursday and Friday. Then went to Florida yesterday and today. But he still hasn't gotten an offer from Florida. Texas already offered him last week.

Hopefully the early offer stands out to Banks.  Thanks for the clarity.

2 hours ago, MikeV73 said:

Any word on the JUCO OL convention on the 40 acres this weekend?  Good news please.

Not much to report at this time. Noah Banks visited early in the weekend before departing for Gainesville. Being a Florida native, he’s likely to end up there with an offer now on the table. 

Texas’ best chance is with Grandy right now and that’s not a given. 

40 minutes ago, Slimer said:

Lovely, we may not get a single a JUCO OL.

It's a possibility, but I think they can land at least one. Grandy is basically down to Texas and UCLA and his OV to Westwood did not blow him away. We will try to get quotes from him on how his OV this weekend went. Also don't forget about Jahmir Johnson, who will not sign until later and is planning on visiting in January.