Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Will Baizer

2018 Recruiting Board/Thread

I read somewhere on Brainiacs that they anticipate Texas taking 1 JUCO offensive linemen.... 2 tops.  I'll be honest, this kind of deflated me as I see OL being the one position group that may prevent Texas from being a contender in the Big 12 next year.  I was hoping for 3 or 4.  Each JUCO O-linemen we add to the mix, even if they are average D1 prospects, improves our line tremendously and thus the possibility of winning next year.   Freshmen OL commits are great, but we MUST STOP depending on true freshmen to contribute at this particular position. 

Does anyone (with inside knowledge) have information contradicting Brainiacs idea that Texas will only sign 1 JUCO on the OL?     

31 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

I read somewhere on Brainiacs that they anticipate Texas taking 1 JUCO offensive linemen.... 2 tops.  I'll be honest, this kind of deflated me as I see OL being the one position group that may prevent Texas from being a contender in the Big 12 next year.  I was hoping for 3 or 4.  Each O-linemen we add to the mix, even if they are average D1 prospects, improves our line tremendously and thus the possibility of winning next year.   Freshmen OL commits are great, but we MUST STOP depending on true freshmen to contribute at that particular position. 

Does anyone (with inside knowledge) have information contradicting Brainiacs idea that Texas will only sign 1 JUCO on the OL?     

Couldn't agree more.  I would be very disappointed if only 1 JUCO OL was signed.

9 hours ago, shotime73 said:

That dog is like "Get my good side please." 

I see the concerns on D. White's size. Herman looks bigger than him! His film shows he's not afraid to hit you though! Let him come in and take Gary Johnson's spot in 2019 PLEASE!

25 minutes ago, Coal Harbour said:

Couldn't agree more.  I would be very disappointed if only 1 JUCO OL was signed.

Think they want Grandy as a Guard to take McMillon's spot and another for a Tackle, probably whoever jumps onboard 1st.  Although I wouldn't turn away Jahmir Johnson as he seems like the only one who could play Left Tackle.

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

I read somewhere on Brainiacs that they anticipate Texas taking 1 JUCO offensive linemen.... 2 tops.  I'll be honest, this kind of deflated me as I see OL being the one position group that may prevent Texas from being a contender in the Big 12 next year.  I was hoping for 3 or 4.  Each O-linemen we add to the mix, even if they are average D1 prospects, improves our line tremendously and thus the possibility of winning next year.   Freshmen OL commits are great, but we MUST STOP depending on true freshmen to contribute at that particular position. 

Below is the exact quote from the Brainiacs. It sounds like to me that they could be saying that Texas is going to take 2 or 3 juco linemen. 

And, while I certainly don't have any inside knowledge, I wouldn't necessarily take anything I read on any site as the absolute gospel on what will really happen. Especially the Brainiacs since some of their guys went to OU.

JUCO Offensive Lineman: Even with the addition of Angilau, Texas is still shopping for one or two JUCO offensive linemen. I am told Texas hasn’t quite made a decision on whether they will take one or two.

38 minutes ago, TB14 said:

I think they want 2 Juco. They were never taking more than 2. Whether you think that's right or wrong it is the plan.

I don't think Texas (historically) uses JUCOs quite enough.  While I agree that the lifeblood of healthy programs is high school recruiting.... I believe JUCOs can serve a significant role filling immediate needs for early NFL entries, unexpected busts, etc.... maybe three to five per signing class.  This could serve to keep the program competitive every year.  OL is a prime example right now. 

53 minutes ago, TB14 said:

The longer this thing goes, the more I think Cook goes to LSU.

I thought he has signing ceremony set for 20 December?  Since he set the date, I don't think we would hear anything until then.  Not much to be concerned with as far as dragging out.  It sounds like his mind is set and I also thought I read somewhere has was making a video.

59 minutes ago, TB14 said:

I see the concerns on D. White's size. Herman looks bigger than him! His film shows he's not afraid to hit you though! Let him come in and take Gary Johnson's spot in 2019 PLEASE!

the date has been set for some time, lol.  LSU is offering backup options.  

@drgilbert I officially had to leave the revolution18 group!  Great info but my word he hate is REAL for Herman. Was annoying to read every day. I know this is recruiting thread but it has to do with that. Anyone else follow that page for there info and know what I’m talkin about? @Daniel Seahorn was right, I needa stay away from the fb fan drama :angry:

1 hour ago, okiehorn said:

@drgilbert I officially had to leave the revolution18 group!  Great info but my word he hate is REAL for Herman. Was annoying to read every day. I know this is recruiting thread but it has to do with that. Anyone else follow that page for there info and know what I’m talkin about? @Daniel Seahorn was right, I needa stay away from the fb fan drama :angry:

I agree, there is a lot of hate over there.  I usually just read the info and ignore the comments 

33 minutes ago, drgilbert said:

This is great news. It is important that the majority of the class gets signed so coaches only have to focus on a small handful of guys leading up to the 2nd signing day. I'm sure it will give them the time to possibly find another prospect or 2 who is flying under the radar, maybe on the DL.

4 hours ago, TexExSpur said:

the date has been set for some time, lol.  LSU is offering backup options.  

I assume you meant the Cook post. The date is that day because it has to be that day. Everyone says he still hasn't decided. We also would've offered backup options if we needed but we already have 2 (and a half if you count sterns) cb commits and don't need more. 

5 hours ago, okiehorn said:

Tried to tell y’all.