33 replies to this topic

#21 Randolph Duke

Randolph Duke

THE DUKE

• Premium Members
  • 2,452 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

Ehhh. The guy was defending his boss. Probably believed in his boss. Shouldn't exclude him from getting jobs.

BUT, yah, it's a bad looking hire. Only because of what you're seeing on this thread, though. People believe people like Horny should go through life working a minimum-wage job because they had bad judgement once, and they seem to get pretty upset and in their personal feels when it doesn't go that way. 

Walk me through how you came to the determination people believe he should go through life working for minimum wage.

My take is more that people are saying he is free to be a vocal supporter of a rape enabling coach who lost his job, but doing so comes with strings attached. One of those strings would be that because he is an apologist for a rape enabler, he may not be well suited to act as a mentor to young guys.

Instead, he speaks up as an apologist for a rape enabler and is rewarded with a promotion.

Obviously, if Tom Herman is going to give such a promotion to such an individual, he is making  it clear that character doesn't matter when it comes to UT Football.

Strike one, Tom.

I hope J.P. Urdiquez's father shows up at Herman's parents' lunch on Monday and publicly lambastes Herman for bringing an apologist of the Baylor rape culture into the UT program.

#22 paymerick

paymerick

On-Campus

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

Walk me through how you came to the determination people believe he should go through life working for minimum wage.

My take is more that people are saying he is free to be a vocal supporter of a rape enabling coach who lost his job, but doing so comes with strings attached. One of those strings would be that because he is an apologist for a rape enabler, he may not be well suited to act as a mentor to young guys.

Instead, he speaks up as an apologist for a rape enabler and is rewarded with a promotion.

Obviously, if Tom Herman is going to give such a promotion to such an individual, he is making  it clear that character doesn't matter when it comes to UT Football.

Strike one, Tom.

I hope J.P. Urdiquez's father shows up at Herman's parents' lunch on Monday and publicly lambastes Herman for bringing an apologist of the Baylor rape culture into the UT program.

Obviously I was being non-literal with the "minimum wage" comment. Not sure if that really needs any explanation, or a "walk through".

We're just going to disagree on this one. I myself have been blinded by loyalty to people I look up to, or care for greatly, in not believing accusations against them, and believing their words over the words of others. It happens. 

Who knows, maybe he has changed his opinion on it, hopefully it was addressed in great detail before Herman hired him. 

Sure, it'd have been good for Herman just to not hire him, I can agree there, but ya know, buddies and all. 

• North Texas Golfer and Sirhornsalot like this

#23 North Texas Golfer  

North Texas Golfer

Under Contract

• Members
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

Obviously I was being non-literal with the "minimum wage" comment. Not sure if that really needs any explanation, or a "walk through".

We're just going to disagree on this one. I myself have been blinded by loyalty to people I look up to, or care for greatly, in not believing accusations against them, and believing their words over the words of others. It happens. 

Who knows, maybe he has changed his opinion on it, hopefully it was addressed in great detail before Herman hired him. 

Sure, it'd have been good for Herman just to not hire him, I can agree there, but ya know, buddies and all. 

Solid post right here.

The second paragraph in this post is basically where I am at. The only thing anyone knows for sure is that he was blindly loyal to someone who was/is a scumbag . We DO NOT know if he was involved in any other way whatsoever. We don't know if he actually helped enable rape, was complicit in any way, or helped cover it up. Nor do we know how much information he was actually privy to. 

As paymerick alluded to, it's also possible that he did change his opinion and expressed that in a way that satisfied Herman. But we don't know that sure either. 

Bottom line for me is that if all he is truly guilty of is being blindly loyal so someone then we are seeing a lot of overreaction. If it turns out to be something beyond that, then Herman made a mistake. 

#24 Rotty22

Rotty22

Veteran

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • LocationPlano Texas
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

herman's going to spin it to his advantage and we're going to hear that spin.

by hiring this person, herman is inviting "the questions".  i'm sure he realized that when he considered and hired him.

Come STRONG or Go HOME

#25 Randolph Duke

Randolph Duke

THE DUKE

• Premium Members
  • 2,452 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

herman's going to spin it to his advantage and we're going to hear that spin.

by hiring this person, herman is inviting "the questions".  i'm sure he realized that when he considered and hired him.

If Tom Herman thinks he can "handle" the UT alumni by "spinning" bad decisions, he isn't going to last long enough to coach his first game. The UT alumni are not known from being ignorant rubes and hayseeds.

I am sure Perrin and Herman will turn a deaf ear to those who disagree with the hiring of someone who so strongly holds Art Briles in high esteem. But when the litigation starts in Waco and Art Briles begins to get dragged through the mud, people like Horny are going to have their judgement called into question even further and people like Tom Herman are going to be asked why he has someone with some misguided judge of character on his staff, mentoring young men. If any of the victims speak up and name Horny as being involved with any questionable behavior, Tom Herman is going to be asked what he was thinking by hiring Horny.

Tom Herman is essentially demanding to be allowed to assert his friendship with Horny over any considerations of the protecting reputation and brand of UT football. He will get Horny on his staff, but he will pay a price for doing so. No quality control coach is worth telling the alumni to F@#k off after only being on the job six weeks.

Tom Herman may not think what Art Briles allowed to happen on the Baylor campus was abhorrent and disgusting, and he may be just fine with people who think the culture of rape Art Briles helped perpetuate is just a part of having a winning college football program. But Tom Herman is an idiot for getting himself into this controversy. He should have steered as far away from involving himself in the Baylor rape fiasco as possible.

When the Baylor rape cases come to trial, what Herman has done will be akin to harboring Nazis after WWII who spoke out about what a great guy Hitler was.

#26 North Texas Golfer  

North Texas Golfer

Under Contract

• Members
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:00 PM

If Tom Herman thinks he can "handle" the UT alumni by "spinning" bad decisions, he isn't going to last long enough to coach his first game. The UT alumni are not known from being ignorant rubes and hayseeds.

I am sure Perrin and Herman will turn a deaf ear to those who disagree with the hiring of someone who so strongly holds Art Briles in high esteem. But when the litigation starts in Waco and Art Briles begins to get dragged through the mud, people like Horny are going to have their judgement called into question even further and people like Tom Herman are going to be asked why he has someone with some misguided judge of character on his staff, mentoring young men. If any of the victims speak up and name Horny as being involved with any questionable behavior, Tom Herman is going to be asked what he was thinking by hiring Horny.

Tom Herman is essentially demanding to be allowed to assert his friendship with Horny over any considerations of the protecting reputation and brand of UT football. He will get Horny on his staff, but he will pay a price for doing so. No quality control coach is worth telling the alumni to F@#k off after only being on the job six weeks.

Tom Herman may not think what Art Briles allowed to happen on the Baylor campus was abhorrent and disgusting, and he may be just fine with people who think the culture of rape Art Briles helped perpetuate is just a part of having a winning college football program. But Tom Herman is an idiot for getting himself into this controversy. He should have steered as far away from involving himself in the Baylor rape fiasco as possible.

When the Baylor rape cases come to trial, what Herman has done will be akin to harboring Nazis after WWII who spoke out about what a great guy Hitler was.

A lot of assumptions made in this post and a lot of conclusions drawn which may or may not prove to be right. 

But I have to say that the last sentence just may be the most idiotic thing I've ever read on this site. 

• utparothed, J.B. TexasEx, HenauderTidzov and 4 others like this

#27 drgilbert

drgilbert

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

I'm gonna compare it to the DB coach CS brought in. He was here a year or two until his name came up with recruiting violations, the CS let him go. I am sure if evidence of any wrongdoing comes up then Herman will let him go. I do wish he hadn't hired him though.
  • Earl Nobis Jefferson likes this

#28 Big Daddy Cane

Big Daddy Cane

Veteran

• Members
  • 764 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:07 PM

Exaggerate much? Step away from the ledge dude. He hired a QC guy that defended his boss. Period. Not the best look I'll admit, but doesn't even come close to what you are making it out to be. Smh.
  • streettopeschel, North Texas Golfer and Earl Nobis Jefferson like this

#29 Randolph Duke

Randolph Duke

THE DUKE

• Premium Members
  • 2,452 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:27 PM

Exaggerate much? Step away from the ledge dude. He hired a QC guy that defended his boss. Period. Not the best look I'll admit, but doesn't even come close to what you are making it out to be. Smh.

A member of the UT coaching staff is an avowed sycophant and apologist for a rape enabling piece of shit and we are supposed to look away and remain silent?

If Tom Herman has no problem with Horny's character, by interference he has no problem with Art Briles' conduct while at Baylor.

Maybe you need to look into why Art Briles was fired. I'm not as ready as some to welcome those who support that culture and that behavior on the UT campus.
  • Johnstark23 likes this

#30 Big Daddy Cane

Big Daddy Cane

Veteran

• Members
  • 764 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

A member of the UT coaching staff is an avowed sycophant and apologist for a rape enabling piece of shit and we are supposed to look away and remain silent?

If Tom Herman has no problem with Horny's character, by interference he has no problem with Art Briles' conduct while at Baylor.

Maybe you need to look into why Art Briles was fired. I'm not as ready as some to welcome those who support that culture and that behavior on the UT campus.

I'm fully aware why Briles got fired and I agree that he is a piece of shit that should never be around the game, he's lost that privilege. To compare the hiring of an underling of said piece of shit, who happened to be his boss, that defended him possibly out of ignorance or defiance, to a criminal guilty of being part of the worst crime in history is unfair to say the very least. Like I said before, I understand the different angles and it's up to Herman to answer the questions to come. I preferred he didn't make the hire, but not the crime you're making it out to be.
  • North Texas Golfer likes this

#31 Randolph Duke

Randolph Duke

THE DUKE

• Premium Members
  • 2,452 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:09 PM

I'm fully aware why Briles got fired and I agree that he is a piece of shit that should never be around the game, he's lost that privilege. To compare the hiring of an underling of said piece of shit, who happened to be his boss, that defended him possibly out of ignorance or defiance, to a criminal guilty of being part of the worst crime in history is unfair to say the very least. Like I said before, I understand the different angles and it's up to Herman to answer the questions to come. I preferred he didn't make the hire, but not the crime you're making it out to be.

I missed where I said the hiring of an unreserved apologist for a rape enabling piece of shit was a crime. Why dont you point out where I said that.

The hiring of an unreserved apologist for a rape enabling piece of shit was a bad decision that Tom Herman has to live with. It shows bad judgment. It also shows Tom Herman doesn't seem to understand rape on college campuses and people who are unreserved apologists for those who enable cultures of rape on college campuses are serious problems.

By being fully aware of Horny's unreserved support of Art Briles prior to Horny's hiring, Herman is asserting he agrees with Horny's support of Briles. Herman is a f##king idiot.

#32 Rotty22

Rotty22

Veteran

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • LocationPlano Texas
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

it has begun.

http://www.burntoran...ials-no-comment

Come STRONG or Go HOME

#33 Randolph Duke

Randolph Duke

THE DUKE

• Premium Members
  • 2,452 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

it has begun.

How can anyone be surprised that the reaction to Herman's decision has been overwhelmingly negative?

Bellmont is so inept.

#34 streettopeschel

streettopeschel

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:27 PM

it has begun.

bad play on UT's part. Should have said something like 'Horny was fully vetted and we're confident he knew nothing of the situation at Baylor and his comments on Briles were in support of a mentor...'

Unless of course he WASN'T vetted and they completely underestimated the fallout.
  • J.B. TexasEx and CCausey11 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Football

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users