Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
Harrison Wier

Tom Herman Hires Another Quality Control Coach

This time, it's on special teams. 

Casey Horny has joined the Texas Longhorns coaching staff. Prior to this, Horny spent 9 season with the Baylor Bears as the assistant director of football operations, in charge of defensive quality control. Prior to his stint at Baylor, Horny spent time at Texas State as co-defensive coordinator (2007). He also spent time as the defensive backs coach at both Trinity University and Sam Houston State University. 

Horny graduated from Texas in 2000, and served as a graduate assistant with Tom Herman under Mack Brown. On paper, this is a good hire for Herman. Special teams has desperately needed special attention for years at Texas, and it appears that Herman knows this. Stay tuned for Herman to hire more QC's as well as a 10th full-time coaching assistant. The measure was passed unanimously by the American Football Coaches Association this morning. 

Ehhh. The guy was defending his boss. Probably believed in his boss. Shouldn't exclude him from getting jobs.

BUT, yah, it's a bad looking hire. Only because of what you're seeing on this thread, though. People believe people like Horny should go through life working a minimum-wage job because they had bad judgement once, and they seem to get pretty upset and in their personal feels when it doesn't go that way. 

I don't really think people are making too big of a deal about this. Nobody's calling for Herman to do anything, as much as voicing disappointment in the decision.

The fact is, we just fired a coach who was sought out at both the collegiate and professional level for the respect he demands for women and now we've hired a (granted low-level) employee who outwardly/socially defended a coach who is now most notable for multiple sexual assaults under his watch. It's not a good look, no matter how you try to justify it.

Ehhh. The guy was defending his boss. Probably believed in his boss. Shouldn't exclude him from getting jobs.

BUT, yah, it's a bad looking hire. Only because of what you're seeing on this thread, though. People believe people like Horny should go through life working a minimum-wage job because they had bad judgement once, and they seem to get pretty upset and in their personal feels when it doesn't go that way. 

Walk me through how you came to the determination people believe he should go through life working for minimum wage.

My take is more that people are saying he is free to be a vocal supporter of a rape enabling coach who lost his job, but doing so comes with strings attached. One of those strings would be that because he is an apologist for a rape enabler, he may not be well suited to act as a mentor to young guys.

Instead, he speaks up as an apologist for a rape enabler and is rewarded with a promotion.

Obviously, if Tom Herman is going to give such a promotion to such an individual, he is making  it clear that character doesn't matter when it comes to UT Football.

Strike one, Tom.

I hope J.P. Urdiquez's father shows up at Herman's parents' lunch on Monday and publicly lambastes Herman for bringing an apologist of the Baylor rape culture into the UT program.

Walk me through how you came to the determination people believe he should go through life working for minimum wage.

My take is more that people are saying he is free to be a vocal supporter of a rape enabling coach who lost his job, but doing so comes with strings attached. One of those strings would be that because he is an apologist for a rape enabler, he may not be well suited to act as a mentor to young guys.

Instead, he speaks up as an apologist for a rape enabler and is rewarded with a promotion.

Obviously, if Tom Herman is going to give such a promotion to such an individual, he is making  it clear that character doesn't matter when it comes to UT Football.

Strike one, Tom.

I hope J.P. Urdiquez's father shows up at Herman's parents' lunch on Monday and publicly lambastes Herman for bringing an apologist of the Baylor rape culture into the UT program.

Obviously I was being non-literal with the "minimum wage" comment. Not sure if that really needs any explanation, or a "walk through".

We're just going to disagree on this one. I myself have been blinded by loyalty to people I look up to, or care for greatly, in not believing accusations against them, and believing their words over the words of others. It happens. 

Who knows, maybe he has changed his opinion on it, hopefully it was addressed in great detail before Herman hired him. 

Sure, it'd have been good for Herman just to not hire him, I can agree there, but ya know, buddies and all. 

Obviously I was being non-literal with the "minimum wage" comment. Not sure if that really needs any explanation, or a "walk through".

We're just going to disagree on this one. I myself have been blinded by loyalty to people I look up to, or care for greatly, in not believing accusations against them, and believing their words over the words of others. It happens. 

Who knows, maybe he has changed his opinion on it, hopefully it was addressed in great detail before Herman hired him. 

Sure, it'd have been good for Herman just to not hire him, I can agree there, but ya know, buddies and all. 

Solid post right here.

The second paragraph in this post is basically where I am at. The only thing anyone knows for sure is that he was blindly loyal to someone who was/is a scumbag . We DO NOT know if he was involved in any other way whatsoever. We don't know if he actually helped enable rape, was complicit in any way, or helped cover it up. Nor do we know how much information he was actually privy to. 

As paymerick alluded to, it's also possible that he did change his opinion and expressed that in a way that satisfied Herman. But we don't know that sure either. 

Bottom line for me is that if all he is truly guilty of is being blindly loyal so someone then we are seeing a lot of overreaction. If it turns out to be something beyond that, then Herman made a mistake. 

herman's going to spin it to his advantage and we're going to hear that spin.

by hiring this person, herman is inviting "the questions".  i'm sure he realized that when he considered and hired him.

herman's going to spin it to his advantage and we're going to hear that spin.

by hiring this person, herman is inviting "the questions".  i'm sure he realized that when he considered and hired him.

If Tom Herman thinks he can "handle" the UT alumni by "spinning" bad decisions, he isn't going to last long enough to coach his first game. The UT alumni are not known from being ignorant rubes and hayseeds.

I am sure Perrin and Herman will turn a deaf ear to those who disagree with the hiring of someone who so strongly holds Art Briles in high esteem. But when the litigation starts in Waco and Art Briles begins to get dragged through the mud, people like Horny are going to have their judgement called into question even further and people like Tom Herman are going to be asked why he has someone with some misguided judge of character on his staff, mentoring young men. If any of the victims speak up and name Horny as being involved with any questionable behavior, Tom Herman is going to be asked what he was thinking by hiring Horny.

Tom Herman is essentially demanding to be allowed to assert his friendship with Horny over any considerations of the protecting reputation and brand of UT football. He will get Horny on his staff, but he will pay a price for doing so. No quality control coach is worth telling the alumni to F@#K off after only being on the job six weeks.

Tom Herman may not think what Art Briles allowed to happen on the Baylor campus was abhorrent and disgusting, and he may be just fine with people who think the culture of rape Art Briles helped perpetuate is just a part of having a winning college football program. But Tom Herman is an idiot for getting himself into this controversy. He should have steered as far away from involving himself in the Baylor rape fiasco as possible.

When the Baylor rape cases come to trial, what Herman has done will be akin to harboring Nazis after WWII who spoke out about what a great guy Hitler was.