Join Our Community

Do you bleed Burnt Orange? Come talk about the Longhorns! Registration is FREE and EASY!
Sign in to follow this  
celliot

Does anyone feel bad for Kai Locksley?

It all began with his tweet after the spring game. "Could've told my mother to save her money on the plane ticket". Half of a game after being called on account of rain, or a subtle blast to the fact he didn't sniff the field? I don't know, but I believe, when it comes to a young guy who wants his shot, it was the latter. 

When Buechele became the obvious nod to the future with Ehlinger on deck at QB, I knew Locksley was going to have to change positions or transfer. Then it was even more evident when Heard got moved to WR, where a stable of capable guys was already in place. 

Now, I don't even know what the plan is, if any for the kid. I know he never had huge expectations, but does anyone feel bad for him? 

I just feel like he is a perfect example of how you can be swept up in the circus that can be recruiting. It's a valid thought to wonder if he ever really knew what he was doing/expecting when he said yes to Texas and bailed on FSU. Then again, you wonder what he was told. Who knows. I'll give him this much: I don't know what it's like to be 18 and have those kinds of decisions to make with the confidence and probably somewhat arrogance that I can go somewhere and be the guy. But at the same time, how do you make such a huge decision without really looking at the reality of the situation and asking yourself where you fit in? 

At one point during camp, his name came up on a brief article about roster position changes, what ifs, etc. And I completely forgot the kid was on the team. 

I'm betting the house on Texas this Saturday and putting all my winnings on my next bet, which is news that Locksley transfers before this season ends. 

Why should anyone feel sad for a kid on a full scholarship at UT? His development as a player is largely up to him. Did someone forget to mention that to him before he became a man? An ancient Greek philosopher once said. "You can never dip your foot into the same river twice."

the answer is: yes.

three people - four now with you - feel bad for kai.  the rest of us are delighted to watch him take his most positive steps in a long time toward a productive nfl career.

I'm not saying I feel bad for him. I'm pointing out why the kid has fallen far beyond merely being an afterthought. 

Why should anyone feel sad for a kid on a full scholarship at UT? His development as a player is largely up to him. Did someone forget to mention that to him before he became a man? An ancient Greek philosopher once said. "You can never dip your foot into the same river twice."

Nice

celliot,

The answer to that question is something that us fans can only speculate about and that is what each player shows the coaches every day at practice. If they've done their best, then they have to decide which is more important, their ego or the team's success? If they decide to feel sorry for themselves, then they may decide that it's time to move on. If they are smart, maybe they decide to focus on that free education and be a small cog in the team's success. 

I'd like to see Locksley embrace his new role at WR. He has the athleticism to excel, but that's his choice.

No, I don't feel sorry for him. He's had ample opportunity to show what he can do at QB. It's not Sterlin's - or the offensive staff's - fault he didn't measure up.

I don't know what it's like to be 18 and have those kinds of decisions to make with the confidence and probably somewhat arrogance that I can go somewhere and be the guy. But at the same time, how do you make such a huge decision without really looking at the reality of the situation and asking yourself where you fit in? 

Hell, Kai's daddy has been a high-level NCAA coach for years.

If anybody can help him with this decision, it should be Mike Locksley. I doubt Charlie made him any promises about playing time.

I never forgot about him being on the team...from my position well outside the inner circle, I thought he was going to be our QB this year...didn't work out, now I'm looking forward to seeing him on the field as a WR. Too much athleticism to not see the field. For some reason I always follow the kids that come in from other parts of the country to play for Texas and want it to work out for them, but that's just me

Hard to feel sorry for a young man with the opportunity that he has in front of him. I hear what the OP is trying to say, but this happens every year at every school and will continue to be the case. We could be talking about Heard if he didn't choose to change positions. The fact is that he has an opportunity to earn a degree from one of the finest schools in the land. That will serve him well for forty years and beyond not just the 4 years he will spend there. I hope he's able to get on the field because he is a weapon and could help the team, but feel sorry for him? Not for a minute.

I want to make sure that the OP does not think that I was taking a shot at him in any way. It's just that I have seen this same situation many times in the 54 years I've been a fan. I understand the tendency that fans have of attaching themselves to particular players and taking their perceived slights personally. I did that too for the first ten or so years I was a fan. After that, I just decided to trust the coaches who interact personally with these young men every day. 

this thread is taking stupid pills.

kai is a redshirt freshman with four years ahead of him.  he last played receiver as a sophomore in high school.  the u.s. army game had him play receiver and he did well.  but he's only recently switched his position here.  he doesn't know the offense at this new position, and the staff is rather occupied with some activity or other.  games, i think they call them.

why do some here think he should be playing already?  had he switched when jerrod did, and if he were as play-ready as jerrod, i could see it.  especially if we didn't have some good players ahead of him.  let him learn the game at this position and watch him fly.  he's very likely to be a real standout when he's ready.

next longhorn great

yeah, i was a hof running back until they actually handed me the ball.

i saw elsewhere a discussion wherein various spoke of how surprising it has been to watch jerrod almost take over the receiving duties.  that's a bit overboard, but it's been great to watch his talent simply explode.

i bet later we look back at right now as the period between heard and locksley arriving on the scene.  we'll be saying we need to do a lot more quarterback recruiting.

I feel sorry for me. As a kid I was going to be the next longhorn great. Then the tragedy happened, I went out for the eighth grade football team. :)

It was either my 8th or 9th grade football coach who told me one day at practice, "son, you have deceptive speed". 

I was feeling pretty good about myself until he added, "yeah, you're slower than you look".  :(