Join Our Community

Do you bleed Burnt Orange? Come talk about the Longhorns! Registration is FREE and EASY!

franchise_quest_new.jpg

“HORN†In On Franchise / Business Ownership

…a monthly post with blurbs, links, and other words-of-wisdom

regarding self-employment; career transition;

and franchise / business ownership;

as well as information for business owners

who may be interested in franchising their business.

JUNE 2016

ENTREPRENEURSHIP

Is Living A Few Years Of Your

Life Like Most People Won’t,

So That You Can Spend The

Rest Of Your Life Like

Most People Can’t.

-Unknown-

20 Lessons from Couples Running a Business Together

By Gabrielle Karol,  FOXBusiness

Running a business is stressful enough – maybe even more so when trying to run a company alongside your spouse.

Real-life couples share their tips for juggling love and business.

No. 1: “Figure out who has strengths to do which task. It’s like running a household – one person may be great at yard work and the other person may be great at cooking. You have to figure that out in the business as well,†says Arianne Bennett, who co-owns Washington, D.C.-based Amsterdam Falafelshop with her husband Scott.

No. 2: “Understand each other’s work styles and take that into consideration for how to meet in the middle and compromise,†says Homezada co-founder Beth Dodson, who runs the San Francisco-based company with her husband John Bodrozic.

No. 3: “Make sure you’re on the same page and acting as a team,†says Survival Strap co-founder Kurt Walchle, who started his Ponte Vedra, Florida-based company with his wife Melissa. Early on, he says he sat his wife down during a difficult period to make sure that she still believed in the vision for the company.

No. 4: “Carry notebooks around. There are times when you can’t talk out a decision at the moment, like when training employees. If you jump in, it’s bad and doesn’t present a united front. So we write things down to discuss later,†says Bennett.

No. 5: “Work hard to be kind to each other,†says Suzy Boerboom, co-founder of Welcyon with her husband Tom.

No. 6: Embrace healthy conflict. “You need healthy conflict for a company to grow,†says Dodson.

No. 7: Don’t make disagreements public. “Try not to disagree in front of employees. Sometimes it’s hard when decisions are made on the fly, but it looks like you’re not together in the business,†says Kim Peeples, who started Claremont, California-based VOM FASS with her partner Denise Solis.

No. 8: “Be patient with each other and remember that it’s stressful,†says Mike Lohman, who co-owns Los Angeles-based Go Mini’s with his wife Christine Munro.

No.  9: Schedule date nights. “We try and have a date night once every two weeks and we get a babysitter,†says Walchle.

No. 10: Remember why you started the business. “Money is commonly fought about in any business, but keep in mind that the business is there to make your life overall better. You didn’t go into business to make your lives worse,†says Fred Skeppstrom, who co-owns a Wilmette, Illinois-based TapSnap franchise with his wife Victoria.

No. 11: Don’t make disagreements personal. “It comes from our backgrounds in the corporate world. We know how to disagree on professional opinions without dragging personal feelings into it. Don’t ever take it into the home,†says Lenny Feldman, who co-owns Hackensack, New Jersey-based Executive Home Care with his wife Mila.

No. 12: Be prepared for the long haul. “Don’t expect to see a reward the very next day,†says Skeppstrom.

No. 13: “Try not to overstep the other’s boundaries. He has things he likes doing, and I do things I like doing,â€

says FlipFlop Dogs co-founder Taffy Miltz, who started the company with her husband Jack.

No. 14: “We do not hold a grudge. Never say, ‘I told you so,’†says Miltz.

No. 15: “Trust the other person to make sound choices that get you to the same goal,†says Bennett.

No. 16: “Take at least one day a week and shut it down. Don’t talk about the business, and focus on the family,†says Lohman.

No. 17: Appreciate the shared challenge. “One advantage is that both spouses understand the grind and the work needed to put into the startup,†says Bodrozic.

No. 18: Decide who gets the ultimate say-so. [My husband] gets the final say-so, so my mission is to convince him. If you don’t decide, you can go around in circles,†says Bennett.

No. 19: Define your values. “We recognize that even though we have different skill sets and strengths, we have the same value system, so we always come back to the core values that match,†says Boerboom.

No. 20: Take vacation. “We try and take one time a year where she and I get away from the kids and the business and we have one rule: Don’t mention [the business],†says Walchle.

Home-based Franchises... A Growing Trend

Working from home is no longer just in the purview of freelancers.  Some franchises are expanding through the use of a home-based franchise model, which offers a lower cost for initial investment, while still providing access to  franchisee training programs, and operational, marketing and technology support.

Excerpt from Millennials Investing Where Boomers Won’t

By Dwain Phelps

Millennials want to own a business.  They don’t believe in the “stable†career model of working at one company for 30 to 40 years because they witnessed that paradigm vanish.  Instead, today’s young professionals want flexibility and purpose, ultimately meshing their personal and professional lives in search of a better way to work.

And since technology has made it cheaper and easier to start a business, sometimes entrepreneurship is the way to go.  A Bentley University report confers, finding that two-thirds of millennials want to start their own company.

“Millennials value mission and purpose over and above stability and a big salary.  More than previous generations, millennials want who they are to align very closely with what they do,†said Greg Smith, president at Bloom, a registered investment advisory firm.    “They’ll have significantly more and different jobs in their lifetime than previous generations—partly because of this search for purpose.â€

This all leads to millennials investing in business opportunities, often in the tech field.  As recent studies note, they’re embracing entrepreneurship and optimistic about their prospects.  

About another 30-45 days for the legal and operational components of franchising Redd’s Barbershop to be completed. Hopefully, in the near-future a Redd’s Barbershop will be in your local area.  

You folks who live / work in Austin, I encourage you to visit Redd’s Barbershop and check out their unique and exemplary service.  Request Keesha Holland.  I believe you will enjoy the experience. 

1717 West Sixth Street (about 100 yards to the east of MoPac)

Building 2, Suite 130

Austin, TX 78703

512-428-4378

info@reddsbarbershop.com

www.reddsbarbershop.com

Spread the word and support a fellow Longhorn > Cory Redding.  Hook ‘em.

7s4hpNz_.png

Have a job you don’t like?  Seek other employment…I call that “Changing Your Curtainsâ€.  Perhaps, you prefer a bolder approach which may provide a new and invigorating work-life…I refer to that as “Changing Your Viewâ€.  In 2001, I decided to “Change My Viewâ€.  If you are ready…Let’s Talk.  I can help you “Change Your View†too…

Would this scenario be of interest and value to you…a process where you receive assistance to help you better identify your goals, financial requirements, lifestyle needs and what you would like for your work-life to look like; then provided information on self-employment options and guidance on exploring these opportunities within the confines of a supportive, educational and no-obligation environment?   

Your Life Does Not Get Better By Chance, It Gets Better By Change.

-Jim Rohn-

Small / medium size business owners:

Would you like to grow your business by franchising.

Don't Just Change Your Curtains... Change Your View. I DidMy Story

Franchise Opportunity Knocks

Self-employment Beckons

Start answering the call right here.

News you can use to help you find

The right franchise / business opportunity for you.

To receive free and no-obligation monthly newsletter, which contains articles with general information self-employment, career transition, business ownership… more specific information on franchise and business opportunity (“Biz-opsâ€) options; as well as interesting concepts, or special deals, complete and submit Subscription Form

May Newsletter is available for viewing by clicking on the link below:

FranchiseQuestLibraryMay2016.pdf

The Lesser Known Benefits of Franchising, Plus  Featured Concepts...Franchises; and Business Opportunities

Note:  This month's newsletter; 2016 newsletters; as well as copies of 2015 newsletters can be viewed by going to the Franchise Quest Website.  Click on the Website link below, or go to: 

http://www.franchise-quest.com

Resource Center > Newsletter

$1,000 Referral Bonus $1,000

Additional Information Is Available at Franchise Quest

If you would like to visit, please don’t be shy about reaching out…

I’m a coach, not a sales person.

Hook 'em. 

Larry S. Powell
Franchise Quest
210-479-2491
Outside San Antonio: 888-479-2491 
franchisequest@sbcglobal.net