Juan

Brick Haley

Off topic but all of this Brick-talk reminded me of Nick the Brick who used to be a sports anchor on Austin TV (Channel 36 I think)

He used to throw a rubber or styrofoam brick at the camera at the close of his segment

Any else old enough to remember this guy?

I always thought he represented the zenith of local Austin news

vicbrick.jpg

I think you are talking about Vic Jacobs. He was in Austin for a year or two. I remember him.

Oh yea, Nick & his foam brick.

Vic once did a pre-Arkansas Game broadcast from inside a meat packing plant

He was dressed up in full butcher gear -- including goggles and a white hard hat (which he affixed a Horn sticker to)

Was screaming into his microphone from directly above the pork grinder

Pigmeat was squirting out as he screamed "Texas is gonna grind the Piggies!"

You just dont get local sports broadcasts like that anymore

I wish it was youtubed so I could show y'all

Vic once did a pre-Arkansas Game broadcast from inside a meat packing plant

He was dressed up in full butcher gear -- including goggles and a white hard hat (which he affixed a Horn sticker to)

Was screaming into his microphone from directly above the pork grinder

Pigmeat was squirting out as he screamed "Texas is gonna grind the Piggies!"

You just dont get local sports broadcasts like that anymore

I wish it was youtubed so I could show y'all

Approximately what year was that...do you remember? Or your best guess as to the range of years?

I think you are talking about Vic Jacobs. He was in Austin for a year or two. I remember him.

Vic Jacobs moved to Denver and then LA I believe and continued as a sportscaster. He was on an ESPN 30/30 documentary I saw, was interviewed about a sports celeb they were reporting on. I'll always remember him saying " you want the brick? You want the brick" prior to gunning it at the camera. I think he died a few years ago?

Approximately what year was that...do you remember? Or your best guess as to the range of years?

Mid-80s somewhere

One time I had to go to the Post Office to pick up a package (birthday gift from my sister who was living in Portugal at the time).  As I was leaving with the box under my arm, there was Vic Jacobs headed in.  I yelled at him and he came over for a nice chat in the parking lot of the post office.  I remember we both were sad to see the total brickhouse weathergirl at his station -- Lincola Sullivan - leave for home.

Then he became obsessed with knowing what was in my birthday box.  He was very animated.  So I opened it right there on the trunk of my Volvo.  It was a coffee mug with a thousand little green birds on it, except for one bird which was wearing a sombrero, a poncho and a sarcastic smile.  The mug read "Juan In A Million."  Well, Vic the Brick thought this was the funniest thing he had heard.  He doubled over, finally heading in the post office with his arms raised screaming "Juan in a Million! Juan in a Million!"

Yes, I have lived a pretty charmed life.

Off topic but all of this Brick-talk reminded me of Nick the Brick who used to be a sports anchor on Austin TV (Channel 36 I think)

He used to throw a rubber or styrofoam brick at the camera at the close of his segment

Any else old enough to remember this guy?

I always thought he represented the zenith of local Austin news

vicbrick.jpg

Yep. But that makes me old enough to forget him, too. Hmmmm, I don't seem to recall....

Traylor's pay bump goes from $245k to $350k.

Moorer goes from $330k to $350k.

Haley gets biggest raise, 98 percent from $235k to $495k.

— Twitter API (@twitterapi) November 7, 2011

Words cannot explain how happy I am to be emerging from the nightmare that was Steve Patterson.

I truly hope those who responsible for Patterson's hiring are taken to midfield of DKR, charged $25 for setting foot on the turf and shot.

Words cannot explain how happy I am to be emerging from the nightmare that was Steve Patterson. I truly hope those who responsible for Patterson's hiring are taken to midfield of DKR, charged $25 for setting foot on the turf and shot.

Word I heard was they wanted Oliver but he said he would not fire Brown and if they wanted Mack gone, they were going to have to do it before he came. Patterson on the other hand had no problem being the axe man so he got the job.

I heard this from a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a,,, well you know.

....  they wanted Oliver but he said he would not fire Brown and if they wanted Mack gone, they were going to have to do it before he came. ......

Sentimentality has been killing us 

Still is