Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
Mike Roach

Staff Predictions: Oklahoma

062315-CFB-TexasFlag-PU.vadapt.620.high.

Jon Nemec

The Red River Rivalry

Man… that was not what I was expecting at all last week. Honestly was there one positive to that game? Now on to Texas-OU. What’s this rivalry called now? The Red River Rivalry, The Red River Shootout (my personal favorite)? Oh! That’s right the Red River Showdown.

Texas has a lot of work to do in a short amount of time. This 1-5 scorched earth outcome is looking like a real possibility, sadly. Texas, in order to win this game has to come out absolutely on fire. Maybe the finger pointing will bring out the best of some people. Maybe not. Heard has to be consistent, Norvell needs to have some tricks up his sleeves for Heard, something that OU hasn’t seen yet. Winning the turnover battle is going to be a must as well. If Texas goes something like 3-0 on turnovers and can capitalize off those turnovers that will be a huge shot in the arm. Malik is going to be huge this game trying to stop that OU run game. Look for him to have a good game as well. Also the pass rush will need to get to Mayfield. It is a rivalry game. Anything can happen but coming back to Austin with a win is going to be incredibly hard.

Score Prediction: Texas 24 OU 28

Aaron Carrara

It's more of the same this week for the Longhorns as they face a solid offense in Baker Mayfield and the Oklahoma Sooners. Sure, it's a rivalry game and records are thrown out the window, but Texas still has a really bad defense. Not to mention the offense has scored only 7 points in the last 6 quarters of play. Heard will have to be a star tomorrow and the Texas defense will need a Dr. Jeckyl performance after looking like Mr. Hyde last week in Fort Worth. The energy will be there for the Longhorns but the result won't be pleasant for Texas fans.

Score Prediction: Oklahoma - 42, Texas - 24

Mike Roach

Boy Texas really needs a win this weekend. For one thing it's always a must to beat Oklahoma, but a win could maybe salvage a disastrous start for the longhorns and send them into the second half of a softer schedule. I've had this game circled all offseason as a potential win for the Longhorns, but the fact is they've made it too difficult for me to pick them. Texas will need to slow down Sterling Shepard while pestering Baker Mayfield all game. They also have to hope the Sooners don't get their two headed running game of Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine going. On offense Texas will need to gameplan around fearsome pass rusherEric Striker to get Jerrod Heard some room to make plays. It can definitely be done, but with all the turmoil inside the Longhorn program along with key injuries to personnel it will be a difficult task.

Score Prediction: Oklahoma 41 Texas 17

Taylor Smith

As what appears to be the norm lately, the Red River Showdown will kick off at 11am Saturday. Eleven in the morning kick off time usually means Texas’ record going into the game is poor. And it is 1-5, 0-2 in Big 12 play. Texas will be playing with a chip on their shoulder after getting throttled by TCU last week, and the rivalry between these two schools always appears to bring out the best of both teams. Remember 2013 when unranked Texas beat undefeated Oklahoma. However, I do not think that will be enough for Texas to beat Oklahoma. Texas will need to score a lot of points to make this a competitive game since their defense gives up a lot of points. With what we saw last week, I am not sure that is possible. I hate to say this, but Oklahoma will be 5-0 after the game on Saturday.

Score Prediction: OU – 45 TEXAS – 20