Photo
- - - - -
Baseball

Game 1: Texas Tech at Texas (recap & post-game added)

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 joeywa  

joeywa

Unofficial HS BBQ Consultant & Baseball Pundit

• 12,900 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:58 PM

#GottaBeTheHat. (Or joeywa in attendance.)

Hook Em!
"This is the place where brilliant minds assemble to willfully pool
ignorance with questionable logic in order to reach absurd conclusions."

-Sign hanging in Study Butte General Store, Study Butte, TX

@joeywa_44

#42 Matt Cotcher

Matt Cotcher

Under Contract

• Administrators
  • 4,525 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • Longhorns

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:59 PM

T9th

Connor Mayes in to close it out.

Gardner - K's swinging, 1 out

Ryan Long to PH for Garcia 

Long - K's swinging for out #2

Smith - full count; singles through left side, runner at 1b, 2 out

Neslony - L8 to RCF ends game

FINAL:

Texas 3

Texas Tech 0

Managing Editor

@mlcotcher

mlc.hornsports@gmail.com

hssig.jpg

#43 Capn Hook

Capn Hook

Veteran

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:59 PM

WTF, we actually won the first game of the series?

#44 joeywa  

joeywa

• 12,900 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:08 PM

WTF, we actually won the first game of the series?

Well, it took pulling out all the stops. Me & street bought Slim a new cap, and I flew in for the series. Talk about stacking the cards in your favor!

@joeywa_44

#45 Bear19

Bear19

Under Contract

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:20 PM

Anyone notice that the Great Big assTroll never posted in this thread? Anyone wonder why?
  • utisdabomb12 and java like this

#46 Matt Cotcher

Matt Cotcher

Under Contract

• Administrators
  • 4,525 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • Longhorns

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:28 PM

Managing Editor

@mlcotcher

mlc.hornsports@gmail.com

hssig.jpg

#47 joeywa  

joeywa

• 12,900 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:33 PM

Anyone notice that the great big asstroll never posted in this thread? Anyone wonder why?

Didn't really notice, to be quite honest.

@joeywa_44

#48 Matt Cotcher

Matt Cotcher

Under Contract

• Administrators
  • 4,525 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • Longhorns

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:35 PM

Managing Editor

@mlcotcher

mlc.hornsports@gmail.com

hssig.jpg

#49 armadillo slim

armadillo slim

V.I.P.

• Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:13 PM

I am enjoying my new hat, courtesy of joeywa and street. Early returns on hat karma properties appear promising. Another test run tomorrow.

I will say, one of the disadvantages of going to a game in person is missing Craig way's radio call most of the time but tonight I had a rare treat. near the end of the top of the 7th I got up to go take a leak. They pipe in Craig's broadcast into the concourses and as I'm walking into the bathroom I hear him beginning to wax nostalgic about the end of Parker french's career.

" well, there it is, a three up, three down inning for French!", he intones, "and the knowledgeable Longhorn crowd, sensing that this is Parker's last inning of longhorn baseball, rises to its feet to give him a standing O!......

......oh wait, it's just the beginning of the 7th inning stretch."

Sure enough, French comes back out to start the 8th.

Cracked me up and I almost pissed the wall in the bathroom.
  • joeywa and Matt Cotcher like this

#50 utisdabomb12

utisdabomb12

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

This team has the talent to challenge once the Big 12 tournament starts. I'm interested to see how the team responds in the Big 12 tournament. 

#51 joeywa  

joeywa

• 12,900 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:49 PM

This team has the talent to challenge once the Big 12 tournament starts. I'm interested to see how the team responds in the Big 12 tournament.

Let's just get there first. ;)
  • utisdabomb12 likes this

@joeywa_44

#52 utisdabomb12

utisdabomb12

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:57 PM

Let's just get there first. ;)

Lol, true. The Big 12 probably only has 2 tournament teams (TCU and Oklahoma State). I just don't think the league is great this year, and anything is possible come tournament time. I'm not saying we will win the Big 12 tournament but it certainly wouldn't surprise me. I still think we are probably the 3rd best team in the Big 12 which is pretty amazing based on this year. I don't think it's nearly a long shot as some people believe. 

#53 Matt Cotcher

Matt Cotcher

Under Contract

• Administrators
  • 4,525 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • Longhorns

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:34 PM

French wills Horns to win over Tech

Posted by Matt Cotcher, in Texas Baseball 01 May 2015 · 0 views
med_gallery_6706_2_1353618.jpg

FINAL: Texas 3 – Texas Tech 0

The Texas Longhorns are in need of every win they can muster as they try to salvage a season that started with lofty rankings and expectations. In what will be his last start at Disch Falk Field, senior starting pitcher Parker French gave the Longhorns everything he could, helping the team shutout Texas Tech, 3-0.

In six previous Big 12 series, Texas was 3-3 in opening games. In the three series they played against a team ahead of them in the standings, they lost – in the three games facing a team behind them they won.

With the Red Raiders fourth in the league standings, only one spot ahead of the Horns, Friday night’s contest figured to be pivotal in the outcome of the series. French labored through 7.2 innings, allowing seven hits and three walks, but ultimately forced Tech to leave thirteen men on base.

Striking out seven Red Raiders en route to throwing 131 pitches, French’s dogged determination clearly set the tone for the Longhorns. Playing error-free, the Texas defense supported their starter’s effort from when he toed the rubber in the first inning until the answered the crowd's curtain call.
The Longhorn offense struck for all three runs in the home half of the fifth inning. Collin Shaw jumpstarted the effort by leading things off with a double to right centerfield. Texas then scrapped their way to break the tie using an error by Tech, an RBI infield single from Michael Cantu, and a sacrifice fly from Joe Baker for the three runs.

Ty Marlow and Connor Mayes made the three-run margin stand firm in the final innings. Marlow retired the only batter he faced in the top of the eighth with two Tech runners on base. Mayes pitched a scoreless ninth frame while earning his second save of the season.

Texas and Texas Tech play the second game of their weekend series on Saturday at 2:00PM.

POST-GAME

Augie Garrido

med_gallery_6706_2_1184027.jpg

Opening Statement: “My spotlight goes to Parker French and the pitching performance that he gave us. The big inning was the bases loaded [one] out [second inning] and getting out of that one with a zero. It was huge.

Getting our three runs, [We did so by] being opportunistic and getting the three runs. Joe Baker had an RBI with two strikes and had a good at bat to get the third run in, and it was a good rally. It was a legitimate rally. I thought the players played with their heads up. We talked about, "Are they down?" I didn't see that. I didn't see that at all. I've continued to say that they have the right spirit and that they have the right attitude because I really believe that they do. If they can start hitting with runners in scoring position, then we could beat anybody in America.”

On Parker French’s performance: “I think he put another positive paragraph added onto his legacy here at The University of Texas in this game today. He's done a lot of great things academically and athletically here. He's a very special person on the academic side of it as well as the athletic side of it. Tonight was very special in a time where his team needed him most and his university needed him most.”

On being opportunistic: “That's right. I think the difference is that they executed. [Zane] Gurwitz's bunt put some pressure on them, and they threw the ball away because it was a pressure situation. If they hadn't [had] such a really good game, especially at shortstop, there would have been some other runs. That kid has amazing range.”

Parker French

med_gallery_6706_2_1058481.jpg

On his final start at Disch Falk Field: “I mean maybe a few more leadoff men getting out, but other than that it was really good. It was awesome, a dream come true, blessing, all of those cliches. It was fun just to really go out and compete one last time here at [UFCU Disch-Falk Field] for all of these fans and for my family.”

On fighting for the win: “That's just in my character, it's in all of these guys' characters. As long as there's a chance, we're not going to give up, we're not going to give in. I just want to thank my teammates. I think they understood the magnitude of this being my last start here and maybe the last time I pitch on this field, and they backed me one hundred percent. They're very supportive, and I'm just really honored by that and honored by the fans' support out here. It's very humbling.”

On lobbying for more work: “I just kind of reminded him that we have a little bit of a break with finals. I went with logic first, and then just told him that I really wanted this. I wanted this moment, and I wasn't ready to stop competing. I guess that worked, thankfully.”

On throwing a career-high number of pitches: “I felt good. I felt like I had something left the whole time. I feel like with how I work in the offseason, I prepare myself to be able to throw 100 plus pitches. I did have to lobby for the seventh inning and luckily that was the quickest inning of the night, so I looked really smart on that one (laughs). In the eighth, Skip [Johnson] was kind of like how do you feel? I was like I feel the same as the last inning. I might as well keep doing it, so that was fun. I really enjoyed that. I really enjoyed getting a couple of extra innings there.”

On his curtain call: “Well I've always thought it's unfair that only hitters get curtain calls (laughs), so that's the first thing I'll say about that. I told some of the guys that was one of the coolest moments of my life. Very emotional, but it was just awesome. It just shows the kind of support and love from the fans, and from my family as well who was here tonight. It was just awesome. It was how you want to go out. I'm extremely blessed and thankful.”

On his emotions today knowing this would be his last start at home: “I was good today. I think it was my mom that was the most worked up out of all of us. I just knew that you can't think about all of the outside things in the game of baseball. You just have to compete one inning at a time, and I was just ready to go compete as hard as I could. I knew there was going to be ups and downs and there was going to be jams, and you've just got to compete through it all. That's really what I was thinking about all day while I was going to get breakfast with friends, or going to buy my mom's birthday gift, was let's go compete tonight.” 

Managing Editor

@mlcotcher

mlc.hornsports@gmail.com

hssig.jpg

#54 dillohorn

dillohorn

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Longhorns

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:57 AM