Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Cotcher

NFL Draft (Brown, Hicks, Thompson, Diggs & Swaim selected - details & stories)

UT's release on Diggs' selection:

Diggs picked in sixth round of NFL Draft by Detroit
Defensive back is fourth Longhorn selected this year, goes 200th overall Saturday

Texas had its fourth player selected in the 2015 NFL Draft when defensive back Quandre Diggs was picked by the Detroit Lions with the 24th choice (200th overall) duringSaturday’s fifth round. 

Earlier in the day, the New York Giants chose defensive back Mykkele Thompson in the fifth round. New England selected defensive tackle Malcom Brown with the final pick inThursday’s first round and Philadelphia took linebacker Jordan Hicks in Friday’s third round of the draft, which has spanned the last three days in Chicago. 

The Longhorns now have had at least four players selected nine times in the last 13 years. Diggs is the seventh UT defensive back to be picked in the last six drafts. 

Texas has had two defensive backs taken in four of the last 10 years with the last occurrence in 2011 with Aaron Williams (second round, Buffalo) and Curtis Brown (third round, Pittsburgh).

Diggs is looking forward to the transition to the NFL and excited to be taken in the same draft as one of his closest friends.

“It’s great,” Diggs said of Thompson and he being drafted on the same day. “Mykkele’s my brother, that’s my best friend. He’s one of the people who definitely pushed me. I’m sure we’ll see each other, and it’s a blessing that we’ve got this chance. With us being roommates in college and friends and coming in together and both going out getting drafted together, it’s a blessing.” 

Diggs becomes the first UT player selected by Detroit since 2006 (offensive tackle Jonathan Scott, fifth round). Longhorns selected by Detroit since 1994 have also included wide receiver Roy Williams (first round, 2004), defensive end Cory Redding (third round, 2003), defensive tackle Shaun Rogers (second round, 2001), cornerback Bryant Westbrook (first round, 1997) and safety Van Malone (second round, 1994).

Last season, Diggs was a key cog in a defense that ranked No. 25 nationally in total defense (348.5 yards per game), No. 11 in both passing yards allowed (184.2 pg) and sacks (3.08 pg), and 22nd in third-down conversion defense (35.3 percent).

“A lot of people are going to question his size, but he plays very big,” head coach Charlie Strong said of the 5-foot-10, 195-pounder. “He can cover and may not have top end spend, but he makes up for it with his intelligence. He plays within himself, studies receivers, studies splits, studies everything the offense does. He can do those things because he’s such a smart player and he loves working at it.”

A four-year starter and three-time All-Big 12 selection (2011, 2013, 2014), Diggs ended his career tied for ninth on the UT all-time interceptions list (11) with Mossy Cade (1981-83) and William Graham (1979-81). Diggs' 37 career pass breakups are also tied for ninth with Cade on the school's all-time list.

Diggs ended his career with 241 tackles, including 157 solo stops and 17 tackles for loss, and four forced fumbles. He had a career-high 73 tackles in 2014. 

A native of Angleton, Texas, Diggs joins his brother, former Longhorn player Quentin Jammer, on the NFL Draft list. Jammer, an All-America cornerback and a member of the Texas Athletics Men’s Hall of Honor, was selected with the fifth overall pick in 2002 by San Diego where he played for 11 seasons (2002-12). He also spent 2013 with Denver.  

Diggs’ selection has special meaning to his family. 

“It means a lot,” Diggs said. “It’s big for my family. I was actually the first one to graduate, and now me and my brother have this great thing for my family. That’s what’s important to me, just putting up my family and being respectful for them. I love them to death. I’m going to enjoy the rest of the day with them and soak it all in.”

Diggs envisions playing a similar role in the secondary as he did at Texas. 

“I think I’m going to playing a lot of nickel and inside out,” Diggs said. “They like my versatility. I just have to go out and prove myself. It’s the same thing I did when I was at Texas.”

UT's release on Swaim's pick:

Swaim picked in seventh round of NFL Draft by Dallas
Tight end gives Longhorns five picks in this year’s draft, most since 2010

Texas had its fifth player selected in the 2015 NFL Draft when tight end Geoff Swaim was announced Saturday as the 29th choice (246th overall) of the seventh round by the Dallas Cowboys. 

Earlier in the day, the New York Giants chose defensive back Mykkele Thompson in the fifth round and Detroit tabbed cornerback Quandre Diggs in the sixth round. New England selected defensive tackle Malcom Brown in Thursday’s first round and Philadelphia took linebacker Jordan Hicks in Friday’s third round of the draft, which has spanned the last three days in Chicago. 

This marks the most Longhorns selected since there were six in 2010. This is also the fifth time in last 10 years UT has had five or more.

Swaim is the first Longhorn to be drafted by Dallas since 1999 (WR Wane McGarity, fourth round) and only the second since 1987.

The last UT tight end to be chosen was Jermichael Finley, going in the third round of the 2008 draft to Green Bay.

Swaim, who spent the last two years at Texas after transferring from Butte (Calif.) College, was excited to hear his name announced by the Cowboys.

“It was just relief,” Swaim said. “That’s the biggest thing. The past four or five hours have been pretty intense. No matter where you go in the draft, it’s exciting, and I’m just glad to have the opportunity to be where I am and excited to get to work for sure.”

A native of Chico, California, Swaim was primarily a run blocker at Texas, though he did post 10 receptions for 70 yards in 2014 when he was an honorable mention All-Big 12 choice. The 6-foot-4, 250-pounder played in all 26 games during his two years, including 22 starts, and his 19 straight starts at the end of 2014 led the offense.

"Swaim is a physical, tough guy who just really plays hard at tight end and special teams or wherever he's needed,” head coach Charlie Strong said. “He's a guy that's going to leave it all on the field and he's willing to do whatever is necessary to be successful."

Swaim will see some familiar faces in Dallas as former Texas players Donald Hawkins, Tony Hills and Chris Whaley are on the current roster. Swaim, Hawkins and Whaley were teammates in 2013. 

“It will be cool to play with the guys that I’ve known and have a relationship with,” Swaim said. “That will be a nice way to transition for sure. After that point it will turn into business and I’ll get to work.”

Lot of Texas Longhorns selected in this 2015 Draft....many others getting a shot as UFAs. Here's hoping

they all make the roster of their respective NFL team, are successful and have great careers and make

some BIG BUCKS!!

Hook 'em Horns, baby!! 

I agree, Etex!  We know that they are character guys.  They are tough and know how to stick with it.  That will go a long way.  

A relative of mine who made it in the NFL in a much more roundabout way always said that you had to show them you were smart, tough, and disciplined, a team player.  If you are tough enough and disciplined enough, he said that you will usually make it, because many of the guys next to you will fall away.

Hook 'em!