Photo
- - - - -

Texas offers Lewisville OL Denzel Okafor (updated W/ Quotes)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Roach

Mike Roach

Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,758 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:52 PM

After striking out on a few of the in-state options at Offensive Line, Texas extended an offer to Lewsiville OL Denzel Okafor.  I caught up with Okafor earlier tonight to get his thoughts on the offer.  

Okafor was very excited to hear from Texas wide receivers coach Jay Norvell this evening.  "It feels amazing, I can't believe it!" Okafor told me in a text message.  While he has flown under the radar at this point, Okafor did tell me he has some familiarity with the Texas program, "I actually went to their summer camp last year".  That visit gave him a chance to see Austin, and the Lewisville product came away impressed.  "Jus the atmosphere and the city of Austin", he said.  "I also love watching the Longhorns".  

Okafor also received an offer from Oklahoma tonight, pushing his total to twelve including Arkansas, TCU, Texas Tech, and Washington.  He told me that he currently has a top five and Texas has put themselves into that group.  At 6'4 290 lbs., Okafor has the size and versatility to play multiple positions among the line.  Some see him as a guard while others see him at tackle, but Okafor said he's willing to play whatever position he's needed at.  "I'm willing to learn offensive guard, but I really love playing tackle and would prefer it".  

With the offers from big programs starting to pile up, Okafor detailed for me what exactly he's looking for in his ideal school.  "Just a great winning team and a place where I can get a good education".  Okafor doesn't have a timetable for his decision, but this one will be interesting to watch as Texas moves on in their pursuit of offensive linemen.

Here's a link to his film.

Senior Recruiting Analyst
@Mike_Hornsports
Mike1310@att.net

hssig.jpg

#2 utisdabomb12

utisdabomb12

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:06 AM

Okafor isn't a polished player but he's got a great frame. Tons of length. IMO, he's a Wickline mold. A body that Wickline can mold how he wants.

#3 Sirhornsalot

Sirhornsalot

**The Official Horn Sports Landscaper and Landscape Designer**

• Sponsors
  • 8,393 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:32 AM

Kid played with my son. I'll have an "inside" on this one boys! :)

• utisdabomb12 and Godz40acres like this

#4 Mike Roach

Mike Roach

Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,758 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:37 AM

Figured you would.  I agree with the above post, he's a ball of clay ready to mold.  At first I thought he could stick at tackle and on his front foot he moves really well but he's a little heavy in his drop and can be beat by speed guys with length.  I saw some film of him getting beat by Omenihu.

Senior Recruiting Analyst
@Mike_Hornsports
Mike1310@att.net

hssig.jpg

#5 Sirhornsalot

Sirhornsalot

**The Official Horn Sports Landscaper and Landscape Designer**

• Sponsors
  • 8,393 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:51 PM

Figured you would.  I agree with the above post, he's a ball of clay ready to mold.  At first I thought he could stick at tackle and on his front foot he moves really well but he's a little heavy in his drop and can be beat by speed guys with length.  I saw some film of him getting beat by Omenihu.

He was thrown into the fire early, which should bode well for him in the long run. He's faced some decent competition such Solomon Thomas from Coppell and the Lockhart kid from Ennis and plays in one of the toughest districts around (Plano schools, Allen, Hebron, Marcus)

My son was mentioning this kid when he was a freshman. Said back then he had a future in D1. I only went to one game last year as Brandon was at Navarro. Brandon's back so I'd imagine we'll go to several games this coming season.

#6 Godz40acres

Godz40acres

Veteran

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSomewhere undetectable by the NSA
  • Longhorns

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:21 PM

Oh, he's coming. Just show him this shirt...

denzel%20okafor.jpg

• Sirhornsalot likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users